Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 xlt 1200 cavitating

I have a xlt 1200 that is all stock. It started cavitating recently and got really bad this weekend. Once you get on plane the top end is still there, rpms are there the hole time, from hole shot to top end. This leads me to believe i am not having engine problems. Just coming out of the hole it jumps like it wants to come out then hesitates then eventually gets a bite and goes. The impeller appears ok, few nicks but I cant see where it would be enough to hold it back. I noticed the gasket/rubber coming out from the pump/shoe/rideplate area. It is hanging out a good bit, I was thinking that maybe this was creating enough air to cause the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

+1
    Do a search an PPk (Pump plug kit) also your impeller may be warn . look at the gap between the impeller and the wear ring, the tolerance is no more than .035 and the less gap the better, jet pumps are pretty ineffecient...good luck

I suffer from waverunneritis!!!! PWCManiac's Avatar
    Been there myself dude, check ur intake grate, pump, impeller wear just like XXX2 just told u. U definitely needx a pump plug kit however if it wasnt' doing it before & all of a sudden, it's cavitating. Id shoot for the wear ring like he said. It probably has a big gap. The bigger the gap, the bigger the cavitation. Happened on an old GP800 I had too.

XLTNoob
    Mine's got it too. sucked up some sand in about 2 feet of water. Lemme know what all needs to be done to fix it.(Do yamaha's have wear rings?)

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    if your felt in the back of the shoe is hanging out that is your problem, Get a pump seal kit and seal the pump shoe and you will be fine.

Thanks for the info. The felt is hanging out. I will measure the gap, but i can barely see daylight around the impeller when the sun is shining in there just right, and it seems to be the same measurement all the way around. I will order the pump kit, and see where that takes me. Also I had replaced the intake grate a couple years back and one of the bolts twisted off. Should I try drilling this out and putting a new insert in there, or maybe try an E-Z out to back it out or just use the remaining three bolts and seal the hole? Thanks again,

Also, I know i can get the kit from Riva, but do you sell them Jims1300? Thanks,

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by swade View Post
    Also, I know i can get the kit from Riva, but do you sell them Jims1300? Thanks,
    Hello swade, Your best place to get it from is Jerry's store www.4tecperformance.com As a member of the forum you will get a discount to.

Quote Originally Posted by swade View Post
    I had replaced the intake grate a couple years back and one of the bolts twisted off. Should I try drilling this out and putting a new insert in there, or maybe try an E-Z out to back it out or just use the remaining three bolts and seal the hole? Thanks again,

Any suggestions on this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information