Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Talking I gained 250 rpms!

This one surprised me ... I found that my BOV blockoff was leaking some boost, so I had that welded shut ... fixed that POS. I have two superchargers, both new clutches, metal washers, and shimmed to 105 in lbs slip, etc, etc. Funny thing is that I have been down rpms, running 7700-7750 most of this season no matter what I do. I did some upgrades this winter, including switching to a Riva rear air intake ...

Anyway I put the upgraded IC tubing back in, cleaned all the silicone couplers, and expected to see 8000+ rpm (finally) ... and did not. Ski still only run 7750 rpm, as has been the case all month.

I finally pulled the cowl and seat off and brought them into the cottage, and looked the rear air intake area around the rear seat/grab handle. I had never opened up the grab handle at all, and it looked like a pretty small area to suck air into the rear air intake. I took a cutoff wheel and opened the seat release opening so that the opening goes all the way across to the handle area, basically cutting off a couple square inches on each side. Stuck things back on the ski and blasted off - BAM! 8000 rpm!! And it pulled 8000 rpm all day ...

Soooo ... if you too have a rear air intake and your rpms seem low, pull the seat off, see if your rpms go up, if so, do some work on the seat/grab handle to open up that area a bit and let more air in. I am curious if others have found similar results ... I was shocked to instantly (within 15 minutes, no other changes) gain 250 rpms.

+1

I just HAD to do it to You Vern!

You were begging for it!!!

Banned User
    +1
    niice...

+1
    Sorry Mark, I know ... I shoulda snapped some pics ... I was just so excited that I had my dang rpms back, I just jumped on and screamed off to have fun ... My friend Dan confirmed that opening up this area really helps rpms on rear air intake skis, but I wanted to let people know, and also ask if others found the same thing ...

+1
    Good Job Vern. Just yankin your chain, buddy.

+1
    I'll try this and let you know what my results are Vern. I just went to the rear intake and was a bit disappointed at the results (or lack of). I wonder why Riva would not recommend opening up the handle if this is the case.

I thought about drilling 2 more flow rites in it... what I did do was open up the water drain holes to about 1/2" (+ added 2 more) to allow quicker draining.

One other thing I wasn't too happy about- after riding the other day I took my seat off and found a bunch of crap sitting on top of the intake's pre-filter; dirt and small pieces of tree debris... I was thinking that I should maybe have left the big filter up front inside the hull...

You HAVE to cut holes in the grab bar. with or without flow rites. I suggest no flowrites unless you are jumping waves/surf riding etc...
    Last edited by The Bandit; 08-06-2007 at 01:57 PM.

+1
    I almost cut my seat bottom too ... but did not. But the seat bottom really kind of protudes down quite a ways and is pretty close to the intake too. I would kind of like to cut the bottom of part of the seat there too ... would allow much more airflow in it looks like, but I did not want foam or water possibly getting sucked by the intake.

Cutting into the grab handle is all you need. It will get all the air it needs.
    96 air 90 water humid as hell and I was still getting 8600 all day yesterday.(rpm's are too high, I know)

+1
    Thanks Steve, good to hear. Did you just cut in holes basically the size of two 2.5" Flo-Rites?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information