Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

crank case sealant

I already asked this on another site and wanted your opinions as well; what sealant should I use when assembling the cases on my 700? Picked up two SLTH 700's for cheap, including a double trailer. got the one with carb problems running good now I get to finish the difficult one. Any hints or instructions on the seal test welcome too. Thanks guys

Jug Inspector
    Everyone told me to use Threebond 1211 or Yamabond. Only thing I could get at a local store was Yamabond 5. It sucked. It was like rubber cement. I suggest NOT getting Yamabond 5. Try the Threebond 1211.

Bryan

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff View Post
    Everyone told me to use Threebond 1211 or Yamabond. Only thing I could get at a local store was Yamabond 5. It sucked. It was like rubber cement. I suggest NOT getting Yamabond 5. Try the Threebond 1211.

Bryan
    Sucks to work with but does the job pretty well.

Jug Inspector
    I really hope so. I've rebuilt quite a few 2-strokes and I always used Ultra-Grey to seal the cases. I've never had a leak but when I said that I got shunned. So this time around I used Yamabond and I can't say that I liked it. It would skin-over in 2 seconds and I was scared that when I bolted the cases together it wouldn't seal. I'm still scared that it won't hold up. It seriously was rubber cement. I think I'll order the Threebond now before I need it. It's expensive but it's what I cleaned off my cases. Seems like really good stuff.

Bryan

Thanks polaris nut and Ibreakstuff I'll order a tube of the expensive stuff today and hopefully have my crank in the mail about the same time.

Threebond 1211 is the stuff. $15/tube, but its good. I too have used Ultra Grey Permatex, and never had issues. There is more to the sealant than actually sealing the cases...it also controls how much "crush" the bearings see. The bearings have to have a negative clearance, or they will spin in the case and not support the crank correctly. If the sealant is too thick, the bearings won't be held tightly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Threebond 1211 is the stuff. $15/tube, but its good. I too have used Ultra Grey Permatex, and never had issues. There is more to the sealant than actually sealing the cases...it also controls how much "crush" the bearings see. The bearings have to have a negative clearance, or they will spin in the case and not support the crank correctly. If the sealant is too thick, the bearings won't be held tightly enough.
    I thought the bearings were located with pins

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I thought the bearings were located with pins
    No, the outer race is held in place by friction. Some of the bearings are held laterally by clips, however.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    That $15 tube goes a long way. You don't need much at all as most is squeezed out. I've done and redone a few engines with the same tube. Good stuff IMO. 1211

Seems like it gives you a bit more time than the other brands

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information