New owner - 97 SP 800

Hey all, I'm new to the pwc scene and just picked up a 97 sp 800 last week. I got a pretty good deal on it and had it out last weekend. Even though it's not nearly as fast as newer skis, it was a LOT of fun.

I did have a question though. Towards the end of the afternoon, the ski would rev up but wouldn't move. We towed it in and checked, there is nothing stuck underneath. What's weird though is it starts just fine, but the propeller doesn't seem to be turning when I crank it or when it runs. A friend and I had the seat up, and the driveshaft seems to be turning. Any ideas on what to look for? Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you should take the pump off the back of the ski. if its the x-4 hull all there is to take off is the four bolts on the back of the ski (17 mm) and on the inside there is three hoses that need to come off two are the factory bilges and the other is the water inlet from the head. then you can pull it off. if it hasnt been off in a while it may be a little tough...be gentle and wiggle it till it comes free.
    you might find that the splines on the shaft or the splines in the impeller may be stripped.
    good luck
    nick

Jug Inspector
    If the drivehaft is spinning, like Nick said pop of the pump off. You're going to have to take the pump off no matter what it is. Although it's not an X-4 hull it's close enough. Pull all the hoses off the inside and take the 4 nuts off with a long extension. Take the trim off, and the steering linkage.

Wiggle it out. It's not easy most of the time.

I vote stripped splines in either the driveshaft or impeller, although it cuould be bearings bust loose and the impeller kind of falls off the driveshaft and bent it.

Are you sure the driveshaft is spinning, and it's not just the PTO coupler?

Bryan

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Looks like the pump/assembly shouldn't be too hard to take off. I'll try to do this tomorrow evening.

Ibreakstuff - not 100% sure if it's the driveshaft or pto coupler. I'm not sure what the pto coupler looks like.

There was a little piece with wing nuts that covered the driveshaft (or what I thought was the driveshaft). This piece was spinning. It's weird though, the ski ran perfect, then all of a sudden I hit the gas and it didn't go. You sure I didn't suck something up? The Hudson is nasty.

I really hope it's something small, I only had it out once!

+1
    take off the cover with the two wingnuts(its grey) there you will find the PTO coupler attached to the drive shaft. the PTO is the piece of hardware that the drive shaft that goes into the back of the motor. it looks kinda like a wheel. its what attaches the drive shaft to the rest of the motor... if the shaft is spinning your PTO and driveshaft are probly ok on that end.
    let us know what you find

if you sucked something up it will be wrapped up in the impeller... you will find out when you pull the pump off
    Last edited by airbornexp; 08-06-2007 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    take off the cover with the two wingnuts(its grey) there you will find the PTO coupler attached to the drive shaft. the PTO is the piece of hardware that the drive shaft that goes into the back of the motor. it looks kinda like a wheel. its what attaches the drive shaft to the rest of the motor... if the shaft is spinning your PTO and driveshaft are probly ok on that end.
    let us know what you find

if you sucked something up it will be wrapped up in the impeller... you will find out when you pull the pump off
    Okay, we took that off the other day. The pto coupler, the wheel thing as you stated, was there. I don't remember if that was spinning though. However, the metal peice behind it (a few inches behind it) was spinning. I assumed this piece was the driveshaft (the metal rod).

I'll pull the pump off and report back tomorrow, thanks for your help.

+1
    yes,the shaft that you are refering to is the drive shaft. your parts in this order is what you should have from the motor back.
    motor-PTO-Driveshaft-metal flange-wear ring(its made of carbon and inside of the rubber boot) /rubber boot w/ hose clamps-then goes out of the back of the ski to the pump housing.
    FYI there might be some metal shims around the bolts that hold the pump on. try not take them off or move them.
    when i did mine they didn't move, i dont think that it matters that much but make sure that you put them back it you take them off for alignment issues.

Thread Information