Low Compression? Help!

I know this is a polaris site but you guys are much more knowledgeable than the people over at the kawi site Here is my problem. I have an 86 kawi js550 stand up and when on the trailer it starts up fine. Takes a little finnesse but its 21 yrs old. I compression tested it with a poor tester that broke as we were using it. The battery was a little weak and we got about 80 in both cylinders. With that said we took it to the lake today and it started in the water without too much trouble. I rode it around for a few minutes and it ran well. My buddy took it out for about another 5min and it was running as it should. He came back and I waited about 5min before trying to start it again. This time it would just turn over but wouldnt fire. I did this for a while trying all my tricks, throttle, primer etc.. and it would not start. Then I pulled it out of the water and back on the trailer and it started up with little effort. (this was only about 5min after i tried it in the water). Could it be the low compression causing it to not start in the water? What else do you think could be the problem? Thanks, Jason

Jason,

Can you varify that it has spark? Getting fuel? A good compression check with a good battery would help with troubleshooting.

A poor battey could also be a problem. It might not be able to roll the engine fast enough to start with the load of the water on the impeller.

Let us know what you find.

+1
    What is the age of the battery? Sometimes mine will start ok a few times and then if the battery is old, it just wont get enough juice.

Also, pull the heads and see what the cylinders look like. Might need new rings, and a fresh hone.

As everyone here says, we love pictures

+1

The battery that is in it is brand new as of last night. The starting problems all happened with the new battery. The compression test was done a couple of days ago. I am going to get a compression tester tonight or tomorrow. I am definately getting spark, and fuel. The ski starts up nicely out of the water. I also checked the spark. What is a good way to check fuel?
    Holy Crap seobin, that js looks exactly like mine! Same color and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jason3814 View Post
    The starting problems all happened with the new battery.
    Sounds suspicious!

+1
    Its not mine,,, Yet,,, Just saw it on EBAY

Here is an update. I got a new compression tester and warmed the engine for about 25seconds. The readings were 120 in both cylinders. Compression seems to be good. So why does it not want to start in the water? Could it be the wrong size battery? Anyone have any guesses?

+1
    what battery did you get. I got the gel series 14 off the top of my head, and it works great for the JS550. It was not enough for my Polaris

Thread Information