STX-R questions, newbie to PWCs

Hey y'all!

Over this past weekend, my wife and I became the new owners of an '01 Yamaha GP800R, and an "03 Kawasaki STX-R 1200. I must say that these are a blast to get out on!!! The STX-R is a friggin ROCKET on takeoff, but then knowing what drives it, that's to be expected.

I do have a couple questions on the Kaw, though. First, it drinks gas like stupid... is that just par for the course? I can't yet see where 25 hp over the Yam comes with twice the fuel consumption(I've been all day on a friend's '99 Ultra and still not go through a whole tank, yet this STX-R empties out in about 2-3 hours of spirited riding). I read the STX-R thread and learned about modding the stock airbox, and I wonder if that would improve my A/F ratio or just lean it out and melt the engine? Could I change to smaller jets? Should I do anything, or just suck it up and keep feeding the beast?

Other thing is... not that it's right half the time, but the speedo doesn't work. Everything else on the display works fine, just no speed. Can I remove the sender without any headaches? Would like to check the connectors on it, and if they're okay, is there a way to check if the unit's sending a good signal?

Also have a question for the Yam, but I'll ask it in the appropriate forum. Thanks, y'all.

Also, I put a new set of plugs in last night, gapped at .035" simply because I have no clue of what the stock gap should be. Anyone know???

Stxr

You fuel consumption isn't because it uses so much gas but because the Stxr has a small gas tank(14 gal) and only about 10 gal. or so of it will fill. You can upgrade to the larger 16 gal. tank but you have to pull the motor to do it.

Where did you buy your ski's I saw a pair just like them for sell?
    Last edited by Shogun; 08-07-2007 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

+1

spark plug gap

i run ngk iridiums and they say gap em at 24. the gas mileage does suck but oh well thats a 2 stroke under the seat !! i get average 1 1/2 hrs riding time if i'm just messing around but if i am on it wfo about 50 minutes

Shogun, I got'em at Smith Powersports in Hayesville, NC. Familiar???

stx-r, I ran it the other day with the plugs(NGK BR9ES) at .035" and had no trouble at all other'n the battery cable coming loose.

Assuming this thing is stock, how low octane can I safely run? The Yam we have has been milled requiring premium gas, and I spent $77 filling the two up. If I can run 87 in the Kaw, then 87 it is. Just wanna know before I hammer a hole in her pistons.

+1
    ric, i only run high end sunoco brand i noticed some pinging with the 87/89 octanes. is your yam a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? i did also drop in a fitch fuel catalyst capsule in the tank as well. as for the plug gap i just did what the manufacturer said .024 i use the iridiums BR9EIX just becareful not to break the tip of the plug off . both are to be gapped at .024

Octane

As long as your compression is in the stock range of around 120lbs you can run 87 and it will be faster on 87 than 93. the higher octane burns slower so its not as fast. I know most prefer the safety of the 93. If you worry about longevity add 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas.

Aiight, I'll yank'em and put'em at .024", MIGHT try to run mid-grade in it, and if it pings I'll have a bottle of octane boost handy. I'm clueless about 2-strokes, but 5.8:1 CR seems kinda low to me. But then I'm used to tinkering with 10.5:1 hotrod engines, too(Actual dynamic CR gets scary beyond 8.25:1 on pump gas, possibly a testament to the VE of Kaw's 1200?).

The Yam's a 2-stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    i did also drop in a fitch fuel catalyst capsule in the tank as well.
    ???
    Last edited by Ric; 08-09-2007 at 10:07 PM.

+1

fuel catalyst

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/ that should help if you use 87/89 it is overkill with me using high test

Oh... gotcha. Does it make a noticeable difference?

Thread Information