Newbie with GP800R and questions

Hey, y'all!

My wife and I purchased an '01 GP800R and an '03 Kaw STX-R this past weekend. They run like Swiss watches and we couldn't be happier!

I do have one small issue. Whoever had the Yam did some work to it, shaved the head, aftermarket air intake(to what extent, I dunno, I was told to run premium in it), and upon inspection, the impeller and pump look VERY nice. With all this in mind, I'm having some lag time getting out of the hole. The rpms come up, the engine comes to life, but it's like the pump doesn't draw enough water to get up and running. Would an aftermarket intake grate fix this? It's primarily my wife's, and after one ride on the STX-R, she LOVED the holeshot it had, so I'm wanting to set the Yam up to at least be close to the same from a dig. I dunno how much power it has, but IIRC, stock would be 120, so with the mods done, and the fact that it weighs about 200 lbs less than the Kaw, I'd like to think I could get it where she could hang with me.

Also, why did they make the seat so friggin wide?!?!?! It's like you're on a horse! But an awesome ski no less, though.

+1
    Ric welcome 2 the forum and congratulations on the prchase of your new rides. I would suggest taking off the intake grate and inspect the pump tunnel as well as the front side of the impeller.If they have no damage I would also recommend doing the pump plug kit which will help with your cavitation issues.The intake grate will help in the choppy water if you go with the Riva or R&D....

hey ric welcome to the gh...

first get that intake grate, its not safe to ride the gpr with a milled head and air filters and no grate..

get waveeater clips,safety measure to keep those valves from dropping.
    check the oil lines on the carbs and make sure there secure.. or switch to pre-mix.. and put the pump plug kit in.

then ride plate, and if you already dont have an impeller then maybe one of those.. i couldnt recommend a pitch as i dont know what the 800 is supposed to run.. from there its just how much you wanna put into it

Well, the impeller looks brand new, no nicks, scratches, no nothing. Pump and all are in great shape, very little oxidation with most of it on the outer surface. I see almost no gap around the impeller, nothing to worry with from what I read on here.

As I understand it, the factory speedo on more or less any ski isn't worth a $#!T, but it still felt good to see it show 59 mph with my 235-lb @$$ on it. I'm not worried about changing props or anything like that, but I do think an intake grate and plug kit are on the menu. Thanks, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    Well, the impeller looks brand new, no nicks, scratches, no nothing. Pump and all are in great shape, very little oxidation with most of it on the outer surface. I see almost no gap around the impeller, nothing to worry with from what I read on here.

As I understand it, the factory speedo on more or less any ski isn't worth a $#!T, but it still felt good to see it show 59 mph with my 235-lb @$$ on it. I'm not worried about changing props or anything like that, but I do think an intake grate and plug kit are on the menu. Thanks, y'all.
    Oh and don't forget a Modded Ride Plate from either Jim 1300 or Carl at Island Racing. That by it self is a 3-4 mph gain.

Thread Information