Blown 12F--Now What?

Sad story...bought a 2003 12 F with less than 75 hours...engine blew within the 1st 2 hours. #3 and #4 don't have compression.

Since it was new to me...I don't know the history. Prior owner is obviously very dodgy about history. I do know the ski ran fine during my check ride, and during the 2 hours we rode it the 1st weeekend.

No reman engines are available. Rebuild estimates (from a shop and posts here) seem to be $3K to $4K plus... not much less than the ski is worth.

Any economical options? Is there a 2-stroke transplant that would be economical? What about donor engines?

If not...I've got a hell of a doorstop for my garage....

sorry to hear that,

i would contact the previous owner and press him for information. If he is dodgy, then i'd contact an attorney and ask if you have any leverage. Maybe a letter with on attorney letterhead may make him talk.

I'd also consider selling parts on ebay and try to recoup some of your money.

If that's not your thing, i'd spend the money & just say you have a new jet ski to ride. Shop around on price. It may be worth driving an hour or two to save some cash. Just make sure you get a warranty on the rebuild.

What?!?! 3-4 THOUSAND for a rebuild. That has to be dealer pricing. You need to look into a 3rd party rebuilder who will do the engine for you.

You can save a bundle doing the engine pull and install yourself. Just take the longblock to the 3rd party rebuilder. I bet the price is about $1200 then.

+1
    FYI (in washington) if there is not a "no warranty" agreement on the bill of sale than there is a warranty on it......

I am in Kernersville NC right down the road from you. Did you take it to Forsyth motor sports? If you did that is a problem. Their watercraft guys are sketchy at best. If you want I can give you the name of a good watercraft guy in Myrtle Beach. Also if they gave you the diagnosis I would get a second opinion. Have you talked with SRS or Grandpa's marine in Greensboro?

+1
    Crank, pistons, rings, gaskets and a few other parts will set you back around $1800. You are best to remove the exhaust, hoses, wires and intake manifold yourself to save labour. Labour to rebuild the engine and partially install should be around $700. If you need to bore cylinders, fix cases, etc, you will be looking at more. If you need more info, PM me.

+1

More Info Please

Would Be Nice To Have More Info. No Compression In 3 And 4 Can Be Caused By Alot Of Different Things. Broken Cam, Dropped Valves. Scored Pistons, Etc. Since The Engine Will Turn Over Its Possible The Cases, Rods And Cylinder Block May Not Be Damaged. I Know Parts From Kawasaki Are Pricey, But Untill The Full Extent Of Damage Is Known Its Hard To Figure Out The Repair Costs.

+1
    Push kawasaki to warranty it... they replace the motor in my ultra when it was 3 years old and 60hrs.... because one of the risp pins pulled out of the bottom of the pistons. Worth a call to Kawasaki USA.

+1
    Did it go like this ?Hot day 2 up, oil in air box ?There have been some timingissues with the later ski's .I did 28hrs and had one detonate piston .Check it out and use the people here to help you .you will find the problem and fix it at minimal cost

Bernie

Sorry for the slow response. I appreciate all the comments/suggestions.

I spent more time this weekend looking over the ski. It's obvious that there has already been some major work done on the engine based on the dings around the edge of the engine bay. I wish I had noticed this earlier! My bet is kawi won't be much help if there's already been major work done...

Aquaholic...Kawaski of Statesville initially diagnosed the problem. No one has torn down the engine, but two other folks I spoke with around Lake Norman said to expect $3000 plus bills to rebuild it. If you've had good experiences with Grandpa's or SRS I'll be giving them a call...

I'm definately looking for someone to do the work. I'm at that point where I don't have much money...but I have even less time...so doing the work myself isn't feasible.

However, looking at all the posts on the 12F in various forums...I'm beginning to think the 4-stroke isn't up to the task of running wide open under load. Who rides a ninja bike wide open under full load for long periods of time? Not sure if I'll want to keep the ski once it's fixed...

Thanks again for the responses. I'll let you know how the saga progresses.

Thread Information