Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Just bought 96 SLX....need some advice

Hi everyone!

I just bought a 1996 780 SLX 2 days ago and need some advice getting it back running smoothly. It had sat for almost two years and was only started at random intervals. My hope is that I can end up with a fun toy for a small outlay of cash.

I bought it knowing that it was not running well and this is what happens. It starts and idles fine, but when I apply throttle it will either slowly accelerate or bog down and die.

This is obviously a fuel delivery problem, but where should I start? So far I sprayed the carbs with a healty dose of cleaner while it was running and also when it was off but no improvement. My thought is maybe fuel getting to the carbs is the problem

What do ya'll think?

This is my first ski and I don't have any experience so all the help I can get is appreciated.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Matt. Get a service manual if you're going to be doing service work yourself. There are a few things that should be addressed to keep your ski reliable. 1. All new fuel hoses including the pulse line.(about 20' will do 1 ski) And don't buy that cheap stuff off Ebay either. there's a restrictor in the return line that needs to be re-installed when using new hoses. It's right by the last carb on the inside of the return hose. 2. You already have the H.O. fuel pump, maybe buy the rebuild kit for piece of mind. I think it's around $15. 3. Check or replace the fuel selector valve as they tend to restrict fuel flow ($27) 4. Rebuild carbs with genuine Mikuni SBN 38mm carb kits (3 total for 3 carbs) OR at the very least, go through them thoroughly to clean them up. There are filters internally that need to be cleaned most likely.

Thanks for the tips xlint!

I was poking around the engine a few minutes ago and decided to pull the plugs and check them even though the guy I bought it from said they were still good.

2 of the 3 were not producing any spark! I feel stupid for not checking them first but I took his word for it. I will pick up some new plugs tomorrow. I have a friend coming over tomorrow who is going to help me clean the carbs really well.

also unscrew the spark plug boot from the wire and clip about a 1/4" from each one. the wire corrodes at the end and can give you weak or no spark also.
    Last edited by la90043; 08-07-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spell correction

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If the gaskets don't tear, alot of guys re-use them. If they do, get a sheet of gasket material from an auto parts store and trace the old ones. Then take a razor knife and cut some new ones. Much cheaper and no waiting. Oh yeah, good tip! ^^^^^

great tips guys! I am loving this forum already.

What are the best plugs for this machine? The plugs I took out are NGK BPR8ES, but during searching I also saw someone reference the NGK BR9ES which, I think, is a hotter plug. I also need to know what the gap should be. The ski is stock as far as I know.

Thanks for the help guys!

I Believe It To Be The Ngk Br8es Or Champion Rn-3c At .028" Or (.7mm) Gap Per My Manual...............

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    BPR and BR plugs use different heat range numbers. BPR is a projection/resistor plug and the BR is just a resistor plug.

+1
    Rebuild the fuel system !

I didn't...at least not until after I spent more than $400.00 rebuilding the top end.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information