maybe a sending unit gone bad??

i have a 99 polaris slx and converted it to premix since all of yous guys said it was the way to go. my question is i have no gas gauge on my mfd, however when its not running and the mfd goes to "sleep" and i hit the mode button all the bars on the gauge light up but then disapear, so i dont think its a bad cell in the mfd and my only other guess is the sending unit especially since it just quit working all of the sudden. If it is the sending unit will the premix hurt it, its the one that looks like it should be on a space ship or something. thanks fellas i know yall will figure this one out for me. Mudd

Banned User
    Sounds like the float sunk.
    About a $25 part.

where would the float be located at? cause the only thing in the tank is this tube lookin thing that has lines on one side. i assumed there wasnt a float on it and that was the sending unit

+1
    pull the sending unit and lift the lever. If your gauge goes up, then you have abad sending unit float. If it doesnt then you have a bad sending unit. Either way if you lift it all the way up and it registers on your mfd, zip tie it up until you can replace

no lever or zip tie on this one it's a float in a tube! a common ailment call randy at Watcon and order the 27$float! sender is 16

#3 in this pic

+1
    Well that sucks, you cant even jury rig it in the field. What piss poor engineering.

ahh it didnt really affect the performance at all, just have no idea how much fuel i have, and i generally make long trips from marietta oh, to parkersburg wv, which is a long way to row back if ur outta gas now worries z mann i thought thats what was probably wrong with it i was just calling it the wrong thing, i gotta order some stuff off of randy any ways, some one before me got rid of all the in line vents from the gas tank and just ran a hard line to the little rubber nipple by the handle bars. run the ski longer than about 10 min with out crackin the gas cap she dies atleast its all cheap-o parts for right now.....................................now to find some wood to knock on

Recently had similar troubles and wanted to verify the culprit. If it's like the SL's, connect an ohmmeter across the wires from the sender. If the float is sitting on the bottom you'll see somewhere around 240 ohms. Mine showed 241, yep on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    Well that sucks, you cant even jury rig it in the field. What piss poor engineering.
    Well u might not rig it! but you could bypass it and it is a high quality part I replaced my old sender drop tube setup with this unit

Thread Information