Chine Walker

Ha anyone experimented with the angle on a Shred plate?

I see many GH members with either Jim's or Carl's plate; trying diffent angles to obtain the sweet spot. Any experience with different Shred plate angles?
    I love the plate in the chop, but seems to slow the boat down a bit on smooth water.
    I tried to show the step beteewn plate leading edge step and the pump shoe trailing edge.
    Regards,
    jp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shred gap.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	631.8 KB 
ID:	34442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shred bottom b.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	925.3 KB 
ID:	34443  

+1
    contact Houston member Salty, he has one that he has done some anglin' to.

+1
    with any plate

- make sure the front edge is as flush as you can get it to the pump shoe

- the 2 notches in the front edge of the plate should be filed back so they don't catch the water as much

pictues of this mod are in this thread

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...highlight=blue

I use a shred plate most of the time. I left the angle stock.

With the shred I use cut R&D trim tabs shimmed down 3 mm, XL pump nozzle, skat pump and skat swirl impeller. For really rough water I might use a 0 degree nozzle.

You Can't Get Something for Nothing...

Philip and I did some testing with angling a Shred plate. The angle goes up, the speed goes up, and the handling suffers. Same story with any plate you use.

The Shred doesn't have as much angle ability as the R&D - we only got it to about 3 degrees.

That's what most of this forum is about, striking the proper balance between ride and handling. And everybody's idea about acceptable handling is different.

Case in point - I had my ski going 75 with the right grate, prop and plate, but I didn't like the handling. Now I'm topping out at around 66 with the Shred, a Skat prop, single bar intake and 3 degree nozzle. But, I can go full throttle in almost all water conditions in the Bay.

Bottom line - if you want more speed, be prepared to sacrifice a little handling. And use a modified R&D plate, you will get much more angle and speed out of it than you will from the Shred.

Eric

+1
    phillip had lent me the shred for awhile sometime back . i loved it. it slowed me down, but i could go full throttle thru anything. we had spoken back then about getting more angle from it. if it would be possible. i would definately have one

Chine Walker
    Thanks guys, looks like you need to have 2 plates depending on the water conditons.
    I must say in rough chop, once you get the ski on plane it just cuts through the rough. You still need to hold on, but there's control. Then comes the heavy chop, where no matter how you try push through you just can't. With a full tank there's definately a good amount of porpoising as you gain speed. The sweet spot, weight wise, is with 2 bars on the fuel gauge; the ski totally transforms itself, becoming much more nimble. I added 2 washers under the trim tabs, but had a hard time feeling the difference; the bay water conditions are always changing, there's no constant (wind, current direction, chop height, tide, etc...).

jp

+1
    i wish i could get my hands on a good used one to keep, and do some machining and testing

Thread Information