Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

move Trim nozzle without engine on?

I recall reading about supplying 12v to a yellow wire to allow the trim motor to operate without the engine running (I think I recall that - )

Is there any reason I can't install a by-pass switch in-between the existing supply and this yellow wire to allow operation when it's on the trailer?

And - as an aside, outboard engines can have "earmuffs" installed that connect to a garden hose to allow the water pickups to provide cooling water for the engine when it's being test run out of water - is there an equivalent method to do the same on a '96 SLX.
    Last edited by Bent; 08-09-2007 at 11:45 AM.

+1
    Why not go from the battery to the trim supply wire? This way you can fuse it and isolate the wire outside of the box.

Being new to PWC's, I had kinda thought that the factory configured the trim control to only operate when he engine is running for a reason (whatever it may be, I don't know).
    I certainly wouldn't run anything to anything else without a fuse anywhere... But the warning is appreciated.
    (I'm a Power Electrician by trade with the local power utility, I've seen disastrous results from a lack of using the correct fuses).

My reasoning for the switch is that it would allow me to select "engine-off" trim control but still ensure that the 'ski would have it's trim function work as intended when the switch was in it's off position. I still have yet to think of a reason as to why I'd want to have "engine-off" trim control, other than the fact that I just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

+1
    You can run the trim without the engine running by simply holding down both the blue bilge pump button and the trim button at the same time.

I don't have a Bilge pump button - unless I missed it.

I have on the left handlebar, a trim up/dwn button, a kill switch/dead man switch/tether
    on the right, a throttle flipper

and under the bars, I have a choke and a starter button.

+1
    What year and model ski do you have? Isn't there a small blue button on the back side of your start/stop switch and choke lever?

Hehe, I get to show my ignorance here...

My Dad bought it at an auction - (nope - I'm 39 and don't live with my parents... LOL)

He was told it was a '97 SLX, but I've checked and it doesn't seem there was a '97 SLX, but it looks like a '96.

It has a blue triple cylinder engine, single expansion chamber exhaust, it has a red seat (two up, not three), red instrument hood coverhandlebar pad and MFD mounted inside the handlebar pad, the hood up front is black, the sponsons are red and the rear grab rail at the seat's beltline is red (and busted...)

I can't say I've looked at the "back" of the panel under the steering column where the choke knob and starter button...
    Last edited by Bent; 08-09-2007 at 02:08 PM.

+1
    Yes, you have a 96 SLX-780....the guy you bought it from probably bought it in 97 so that's what he called it. Anyway, I guess the early years they didn't have a bilge pump button on the start/stop module...so you would have to try to wire it like you were mentioning.

If you had a blue button it is located on the top of the module on the back side of it.

Thanks much for the clarification/confirmation

does it have a Bilge pump, or would I find a vacuum operated drain tube that gets it's vacuum via moving water in the driveline?

Sorry for the questions - as I mentioend, I'm new to PWC's

+1
    Go to this link and you will find all the schematics for your watercraft with all the part numbers:

http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information