cleaning carb filters on 800 motor

hi....i want to clean the carb filters on my 97 SPX 800. can some one tell me whats involved as far as:how hard it is? how long will it take? can i clean them without removing the carbs from the engine? sorry if these seem like dumb questions. i really appreciate the help.
    were leaving for the cottage on sat morning and i dont want to &*%$ my ski up before we leave.

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by levonhelmet View Post
    hi....i want to clean the carb filters on my 97 SPX 800. can some one tell me whats involved as far as:how hard it is? how long will it take? can i clean them without removing the carbs from the engine? sorry if these seem like dumb questions. i really appreciate the help.
    were leaving for the cottage on sat morning and i dont want to &*%$ my ski up before we leave.
    Might as well clean the whole carb.

The filters in the carbs are little basket-like things. The carbs have to come off.

Take the airbox or F/A's off...and unbolt the 4 allen bolts. Unclamp the pulse line from the block. Pull the carbs out of the boat, and loosen the throttle cable, oil pump cable, fuel in and fuel out. Put the carbs on a clean workbench. Take one carb apart at a time. Don't rip anything, and if the gaskets are in good shape re-use them. I know, people will tell you different but I've done it a thousand times. The basket-filters are under the fuel-inlet/outlet side.

Bryan

Jug Inspector
    Hey it's better to ask questions then end up destroying stuff.

thank-you for the pointers.sounds like i moght have to wait till next weekend,its seems a little too involved ,were leaving for the cottage tonite,and i dont want to not be able to ride.again thank you for your insight.
    cheers
    Levon

Jug Inspector
    Maybe I made it sound more complicated than it was? It'll take you about 10 mins to get the carbs off, and 10-15 minutes to clean each carb. 10 minutes back on. About an hour total.

Bryan

Banned User
    I know what he means, though. If it is the first time dismantling carbs, I would not be comfortable with a time crunch on the other side.

Certainly an important project when you have all winter to put it back together.

Jug Inspector
    Fair enough. I guess we start to lose perspective when we've done things a bunch of times...

After all the years I've spent wrenching on stuff if I encounter something new - it doesn't really scare me. I know it can always be fixed or replaced. Ha.

Bryan

well, i took the carbs out and cleaned the basket filters today.one was not bad with a bit of crud in it & the other was almost completly filled with shite.so it was good i did it.it took about 2 hours altogether but i was kinda detailing the engine parts i could never get to with carbs on as i did it so.... anyway it starts faster and idles way better already,i cant wait to see if it runs better out on the water,but thats not gonna be for another week. thanks to you guys for the advice etc on doing this.
    one other thing though,how hard is it to clean the main fuel filter and the fuel selector? any pointers? thanks all...

Thread Information