Newbie needs diagnostic help from the experts

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a used 2004 GTX SC from a dealer. I don't know a whole lot about it's history but it does have 50 hours on it and I know it has been run in salt water. I have no idea what maintenance, if any, has been done on it. When I first took it out, it would only go 35mph (I thought I had the learning key in but didn't). After about 2 or 3 minutes, it finally started kicking in and after a few short bursts, it got up to about 60mph (7800rpm). However, it would do some hesitating every now and then, and, it would sputter some at idle speed. I decided to take it to a dealer. They discovered that the wear ring needed replacing along with the impeller. I asked them to check some of the other obvious things - oil, spark plugs, SC, etc. (they said all of that was fine - I even talked with them about the washers and they were clueless). I also put fresh gas in it. After getting it back from the dealer today, I tried it out and the same exact thing is still happening (starts out going 35, finally kicks in, hesitates some at high speeds and still sputters at idle speed). I know I have to replace the SC washers which I plan to do. Do these problems indicate that my SC is bad or is it something else?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Pat:

If your SC washers were toast, it would not rev that high.

They might be slipping though and will eventually fail.

I would start with the SC washers and get them replaced with metal, then go from there..........

Your issue is not the SC. Look elsewhere. Fuel pump, plugs, do a resistance test on your injectors. Also check your compression and post back...

Thanks for the responses. I definitely plan to get the metal washers installed as soon as possible. I know how to do a compression test and will do that. How do I do a resistance check on the injectors? Is that something I can do or do I need to take it in to someone?

Use a multimeter / volt-ohm meter, set to ohms at the lowest level, go across the two terminals directly on the injector and test the resistance.

Should be between 12-20 but there is a specific number you are looking for and I am not sure what it is. Hopefully someone else will chime in, otherwise I will test a stock injector for you this evening and post what the resistance should be. For instance, on my corvette, the resistance should be 16.8 ohms.

You can also do the beaker test, which is basically where you pull an injector and test the volume and pattern. You need to plug the hole it came from really well, like a rubber stopper. Take the injector and put it in a beaker or clear glass and observe the spray pattern. In your case, because you don't have a reference, compare them to each other and make sure the pattern and volume are similar.

Let me ask you this... What RPM's are you at when your not doing any better than 35, and what does it jump to right after it decides to kick in?

Oh, and, if your dealer changed your wear ring and impeller when the engine was sputtering, it's time to change dealers. Not saying it didn't need those parts but if that was there solution, Aye Carumba...
    Last edited by dochere195; 08-12-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Again, thanks for the help. I'm pretty clueless about the injectors so I'm not sure how much I want to play with those. As for the RPM's when it was going 35, I dont' really remember but I'm guessing it was around 6000. When it "kicked in", it went to 7800. Last night and this morning, I've had it out quite a bit and it seems to be running a LOT better. It's not doing what it had been the first few times I road it (starting out at 35mph and then finally getting up to around 60mph). Now, it kicks right in and jumps up to speed immediately. I don't know if this makes sense or not but I wonder if I did have bad gas and I'm finally getting all of it out. And, I'm also wondering if the jet ski had sat for a while with that bad gas and might have clogged the injectors some. Just getting out and riding it may have cleaned that out some?

I also don't disagree with you on the dealer. Unfortunately, here in the Columbia, SC area, it's the only true Seadoo dealer I found. And I thought I would take it to someone authorized in hopes that they would check it thoroughly and check for anything else wrong. I told them exactly what it was doing and even asked them to check spark plugs, the SC, etc. I did keep the old wear ring and the old impellor and I can definitely see where those needed to be replaced.

Again, thank you, and if you think of anything else, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information