Noob with a GPR8

Hey everyone, i'm new, but i've been on the waverunner scene since i got my gp800r new in 02. Now it's getting older and i'm looking to tinker with it a little. I know these machines aren't the benchmark for performance by any means but I've been reading an awful lot about the island racing holeshot kits. Now I think i get the jist of how it works, but does it work on 800's too? Also are they the same thing as the jetworks ones or whatever?

Lastly, i have a pair of riva flame arrestors on it, but i don't think it's running right, i keep trying to set the mixture right, and i think i have it pretty close, but are there any other tips aside from turning the screws and checking the plugs?

And yea i'll be saving for a 1300 soon hehe

Well I can help you on the jetworks! It works the same because both skis put water into the water box at idle. The jetworks kit will block the water going into the water box below 3500 rpms. At 3500 rpms it will then put water into the water box for cooling. So it is basicly giving the exhaust more flow out of the hole allowing for a greater hole shot.

If you are wanting some top speed gain on your GP800R go with a modded ride plate and some VF3s. That should get it moving pretty good for a 800!

yeah i was thinking of investing in a ride plate because i could at least transfer that over the 1300 when i get one someday. wtf is a vf3s?

Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    yeah i was thinking of investing in a ride plate because i could at least transfer that over the 1300 when i get one someday. wtf is a vf3s?
    VF3's are reeds. They are also something that would transfer. You would of course need to buy a new spacer plate and another reed for the 1300 but it is a basic motor mod on the 1300r that adds gobs of speed through out the low mid and top end range. Carl sells them also.

+1
    if you added free airs then you also need to change the jetting - if the jetting hasn't been changed you shouldn't ride it until the jetting is changed

I don't know what the jetting should be with FAs - if you need that info just post a question and someone will respond

instead of the jetworks kit and VFIIIs another idea might be to get a pair of GP1300R cylinders - I would think that would be a more cost effective mod - maybe one of the GP800R guys could comment

i jetted it last season, but i forgot what i put in there, i think i had some riva guys suggest something

also the reeds make that much of a difference?

lastly if i wanted to do the holeshot mod with the jetworks valve, do i just need the valve or do i need the whole kit from island racing? Is there any installation write ups on this stuff?
    Last edited by skyline2962; 08-11-2007 at 10:51 AM.

+1
    I would talk to Carl about 3 degree key for timing. I put one on my BBported xlt800 and it gave the ski much better power throughout revs.
    AS far as carb tuning I would call Carl and make sure you got the right jets.
    Could it be your carbs need rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    I would talk to Carl about 3 degree key for timing. I put one on my BBported xlt800 and it gave the ski much better power throughout revs.
    AS far as carb tuning I would call Carl and make sure you got the right jets.
    Could it be your carbs need rebuilt?
    yeah i'm sure they could probably use a rebuilt. Who is this carl guy? And the 3 degree key? Is that some sort of module that advances the timing? Do you have to run premium gas to use it?

Thread Information