Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't find the speed on my 03 gp1300r

I finnally got a gps and a tiny tach to get my speeds and rpms. I am currently running 6900 rpm at only 65.2 mph. I have the 05 pump, 14/20 dynafly, 87 nozzle, riva trim tabs, stepped sponsons, ff plate adjusted to around 1.1 inches, tunnel reinforced, efi controller, 1200 grate, pump shoe sealed that is a nickel lower than hull, jetworks mod, and I removed all the intake tubing to stock intake manifold, and don't have the d-plate but one with a round hole in the center. I think my ski should be around running 70 but it isn't even close. I didn't have a gps before I went to the ff plate, only had a riva plate, but my speedometer went from 72 to 79 when I changed that out so I am pretty sure I gained some speed with that mod. My only guesses where my speed is going is 1) pump bearings are too tight, as by hand I can only spin the pump 1/4 turn 2) need to get a riva d-plate 3) put stock trim tabs back on 4) unstep sponsons but it bounces like crazy if I put them in the top postion. I also have a riva head to put onto my ski, but haven't because I want to find the speed before I mod the engine. Thanks Marcus

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mastice View Post
    I finnally got a gps and a tiny tach to get my speeds and rpms. I am currently running 6900 rpm at only 65.2 mph. I have the 05 pump, 14/20 dynafly, 87 nozzle, riva trim tabs, stepped sponsons, ff plate adjusted to around 1.1 inches, tunnel reinforced, efi controller, 1200 grate, pump shoe sealed that is a nickel lower than hull, jetworks mod, and I removed all the intake tubing to stock intake manifold, and don't have the d-plate but one with a round hole in the center. I think my ski should be around running 70 but it isn't even close. I didn't have a gps before I went to the ff plate, only had a riva plate, but my speedometer went from 72 to 79 when I changed that out so I am pretty sure I gained some speed with that mod. My only guesses where my speed is going is 1) pump bearings are too tight, as by hand I can only spin the pump 1/4 turn 2) need to get a riva d-plate 3) put stock trim tabs back on 4) unstep sponsons but it bounces like crazy if I put them in the top postion. I also have a riva head to put onto my ski, but haven't because I want to find the speed before I mod the engine. Thanks Marcus

without engine mods, the dynafly may be too steep to spin properly

Yea, the impeller might be too tall. I was in your same spot early in the season. I then added VF3's and I went from 68 mph to 72 mph. Also you said a nickle lower on the pump shoe? It should be up in the hull a nickle.

And I see you have a stock plate, GET IT MODDED!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Marcus, RPM'S way to low you are not in the power band. You want to be about 7100 RPM'S You also wrote that the shoe is a nickel lower than the hull the shoe should not sit lower than the hull you will lose major speed.

+1
    Put stock tabs back on
    EFI settings?
    how much fuel?
    temps that day?
    rider weight?
    I hope you got mixed up when you said the shoe is a nickle lower than the hull...... I dont see how that is possible anyways.

150psi head will wake it up
    VF3 reeds
    D plate
    3 degree timing key
    This would be a good start to pull the 14/20.

Also,Waveeater clips/couplers are a must if you do not have them now.

+1
    i read it as, the shoe is recessed a nickel lower INTO the hull. i think thats what he meant

+1
    He said a nickle lower than hull....

+1
    pump shoe sealed that is a nickel lower than hull

lower than the hull. meaning recessed i think

+1
    Welcome to the forum Mastice.

Although I do not think that it is a problem for you, I will trade a "D" plate for an "O" plate. I've never used one before and would like to try one.

I screwed up and meant to say that the pump shoe is recessed by a nickel amount up into the hull sorry,so its not hanging too low. I plan to go ahead and put on the aftermarket heads to see if I can get my rpms up and to put the stock trim tabs are on. I weight about 185 lbs and my efi settings are around 4,6,1,7ish to make sure it turns red light on around 5500 rpms. Thanks for the help, I love this site.!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information