Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96xp please help!!!!!!!!!

my last thread i was asking about taking on water from drive shaft
    i have removed the pump and shaft to see what was going on and found that all the o rings are in place .the only thing that seemed to be off is the carbon ring is wore on one side more than the other can this be the cause? any opinion would be appreciated

Jug Inspector
    First and foremost, don't double post. I know I know, it's not the same thing. But in fact it is. Also, please describe what the problem is - not just the boat.

Anyways, if your carbon ring is wore on one side more than the other that means your engine is out of alignment. You need to re-align it with the engine alignment tool.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...5/Sea-Doo.aspx

Assembly #5 - drive system.

You're going to need 2(x2), 7, 10, and probably 8.

Bryan

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    i had the same problem. not sure that my motor was out of alignment since it was stock and untouched since the factory. it possibly could have been moved with all the wear and tear, but who knows. ive replaced mine and it seems to be fine now.

whAT did you replace? carbon ring?

check the motor mounts.

+1
    i replaced all of the o-rings $5, that metal flange $45, and the carbon ring $40. it was like $100 and some change from PPG to replace all of it.
    as for my motor mounts they just may be worn but they look OK. i havent touched the motor since i bought it. it was worn on the bottom side of the carbon ring so i guess i have to get the alignment tool...im getting sick of spending money and not riding it...grrr

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    i replaced all of the o-rings $5, that metal flange $45, and the carbon ring $40. it was like $100 and some change from PPG to replace all of it.
    as for my motor mounts they just may be worn but they look OK. i havent touched the motor since i bought it. it was worn on the bottom side of the carbon ring so i guess i have to get the alignment tool...im getting sick of spending money and not riding it...grrr
    Did the groove in the driveshaft under the SS ring have a rubber oring or a metal C-clip to retain the SS ring?

+1
    it was the origional rubber o-ring but my problem was the carbon ring letting water in. it kinda had an oval shape to it. that was when i put the new motor in and tested it out on the water before i fired it up. how long does it take for the drive shaft to do that? not long?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    it was the origional rubber o-ring but my problem was the carbon ring letting water in. it kinda had an oval shape to it. that was when i put the new motor in and tested it out on the water before i fired it up. how long does it take for the drive shaft to do that? not long?
    No. It was the oring that was your main problem. Sea-Doo had a technical service bulletin in 97 about replacing the oring with a metal c-clip. Because...the oring would collapse and allow the SS ring to move away from the carbon ring, and flood your hull. Ask the parts dept about it when you order the correct part. If it's a newbie then that explains why he did not sell you one when you ordered the parts.

Also...shove the engine hard sideways, both ways...to verify the mounts have not broken. Shove it at the flywheel cover to verify the front engine mount. If one is broken it will noticeably separate from it's resting place, otherwise, it will just flex a bit.

Fortunately if you have it back together it's a simple deal to slide the SS ring rearward, cut the oring, and pop on the c-clip.

Happy riding...

+1
    everything seems to be in order, nothing broken or moving. probly just old parts. like i said earlier it's been origional since i bought it in 96. wont know till next summer anyway. still waiting for my raise and the right used parts to surface.
    if anyone knows where i can find...
    a set of 44mm carbs with intake(cheap)
    diagram of water routing for factory Pipe spec 2
    i can ride a few more times this year to get it tuned.
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information