Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question 180 Challenger Questions

Hey all
    I'm new here, new to boating and here is some questions
    Just bought 180 Challenger was this a good buy, I read so many things about it and all of it was good. Have not got it in the water yet

This is our first boat as my wife got tired of the waverunner

1-Would we see diffrence in speed?
    2-how is this boat for tubing with 5 people in it?
    3-how is this boat for wake boarding with 5 people in it?
    4-How well this boat will perform on great lakes
    5-can I run the engine(after breakin period) for lets say 8 hrs with out breaks
    6-how is this boat on fuel(full out, how many hrs will it run)
    7-how close to shore should I stay on larger lakes

I think thats it for now.
    Hope you can help me with some of those questions
    Matt
    Last edited by Atlantis; 08-10-2007 at 11:31 PM.

If shes got boobs or a throttle, I'm on it! badvinny's Avatar
    We had 5 in the boat and one wakeboarding this week, no problem! Put everybody in the back to give the best wake, tubing was great too!

1) The C180 will do 47MPH, but about 42 loaded with 5 people and gear.
    2) Tubing with 5 is fine, however anytime you load adults into the bow seats, they will get wet when you come down off plane quickly.
    3) Don't know about wake boarding with 5 (4+rider) but suspect its fine as the extra passengers will make a better wake.
    4) Don't know about G.L. specifically, but its a light boat and you can get bounced around in a heavy chop.
    5) The engine should run for extended periods fine, I have only run 2-3 hours solid, but never had a problem. You will run out of gas long before 8 hours.
    6) At WOT, it will suck gas very quickly (18 GPH). At a 30MPH cruise, you get about 9GPH (3 MPG). In watersports, I average 5-6 GPH as there is some stopping and starting with average speed 22-26MPH.

Thats a great info
    We will use Challenger as a fun boat with max 4 on board
    and do some cruzing with 7
    So on full tank of gas max run time at 30 to 35 MPH should be around 4 hrs or more?

Any tricks I should know before the first lunch?

Thank you all

MAtt
    Last edited by Atlantis; 08-12-2007 at 10:50 PM.

We use the boat also with 4 (2 adults + 2 large teen boys) most of the time, it is very comfortable. I have had up to 7 in the boat, it works but the space gets tight.

The 2005 had a 21 gal tank, this was too small. The 2006 has a 27 gallon tank, so about 3 hours or 90 miles of cruising at 30MPH. This is the optimal speed for maximizing MPG. If you want to increase the cruise time, you can slow down to 20MPH or so. The fuel burn rate will drop increasing your time on the tank, but not the distance. Its not a huge range for an ocean going boat, but for lakes and bays, its more than enough. For us, we do some water sports, some cruising and some hanging out. In the end, we use about 1/2 tank per day because of the mix of activities.

Advice: Don't suck up anything (rocks, sand, ropes), jets allow you to run in shallow water but once you go too shallow and suck up something the impeller and wear ring can be damaged very quickly. I learned this one the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by DougT View Post
    We use the boat also with 4 (2 adults + 2 large teen boys) most of the time, it is very comfortable. I have had up to 7 in the boat, it works but the space gets tight.

The 2005 had a 21 gal tank, this was too small. The 2006 has a 27 gallon tank, so about 3 hours or 90 miles of cruising at 30MPH. This is the optimal speed for maximizing MPG. If you want to increase the cruise time, you can slow down to 20MPH or so. The fuel burn rate will drop increasing your time on the tank, but not the distance. Its not a huge range for an ocean going boat, but for lakes and bays, its more than enough. For us, we do some water sports, some cruising and some hanging out. In the end, we use about 1/2 tank per day because of the mix of activities.

Advice: Don't suck up anything (rocks, sand, ropes), jets allow you to run in shallow water but once you go too shallow and suck up something the impeller and wear ring can be damaged very quickly. I learned this one the hard way.
    Thank you for inside
    What would you consider shallow 2, 3 or 4'
    THX
    Matt

What would you consider shallow 2, 3 or 4'
    Depends on the throttle. At idle, 2' would be fine, but if you're moving, it would be all too easy to run shallower, which would not be fine. Any thing less than 16 inches, and you'll surely have an intercooler full of sand (or IC strainer bucket full). Usually the rule is don't even start it unless you have 3'. I wouldn't want to be WOT in anything less than 4'.

The 2006 has a 27 gallon tank
    What I would give for a that! They left the 21gal tank in the 150, even though it could hold a 27, and fuel consuption is the same as a 180. With 21, half the time I'm coming home, I'm sweating if I'm going to make it.

Thats great info,
    My has 28 gal tank, extra 5 min of run time

Thank you for the info
    Getting in the water this weekend
    Starting sequence?

Hi Again,

Sorry, I had a senior moment, my tank is 28 gal also. I agree with Scott on depth, 3' of water is specified by BRP under the hull (4' total) for safe operation. Anything less and you should be at idle.

That said, my local launch is literally 300' up a shallow creek with 16 to 24 inches of water depending on the lake level. I navigate this routinely at idle, but I know the bottom is silt and a little sand. I would be more concerned if the bottom had gravel.

Start sequence: On the trailer, I check the drain plugs, the bilge for gas fumes, run the blower for 3-4 minutes and start the engine for 1 minute, then shut down. This makes sure everything is tip top before launch. Since you don't have a true neutral, you don't want to start the engine on the water until you are ready to go. Thus my little prestart sequence.

Once you are on the water, as long as you have 2' you should be OK, but caution is always needed as rocks grow. Sometimes, this means pushing off the shore and then starting after you drift into the needed depth.

Quote Originally Posted by DougT View Post
    Since you don't have a true neutral
    No Neutral?
    The drive has a neutral position, or do I always put it in gear before I start?
    THX
    Matt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information