Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

XP or XPDI Which is best?

Not bothered about the comparable fuel cosnumption.
    Is one more reliable than the other?
    What goes on them?
    What should I look for?
    Thanks

The DI is more reliable and will run longer before needing to be rebuilt
    the regular XP has more aftermarket parts

i had a 2000 xp and it was the best ski i have ever had 200 plus hours on clock and nothing ever went wrong just regular service . i sold in 2003 to by a xpdi new the first 10hr were great good fuel eco. very easy to start and very smoth in operation. after 10 hr it turned in to the greatest heap of shit. fuel pump need replacing at 15 hr. altnator replace at about 20 hr. engine ecu had int fult and was replace at about 30hr. every time i took it out something would fail. spoke to many people and they all said the xpdi was to far advanced for its time and electrics were full of problems. xpdi great to ride but will make you poor when it breaks down. i spent half the price of the ski on replacing broken parts. i sold it in 05 and now have rxp best ski ever

there are alot of xp's and DI's out there each with their own history.
    But according to what I have owned (97,98,99,2000xp)When the DI came out it was a much better machine IMO. As far as the electronics go, my DI has 106 hours on it and I just replaced the voltage regulator under warranty. IMO, the older xp;s with the carbs were much more prone to things going wrong. My DI starts right up within the first 1 or 2 seconds. The old XP's were sometimes a horror when they were cold,etc..
    But as far as riding the two in comparison; No doubt the DI is just a MUCH better running ski and in the 106 hours on mine, the plugs have been changed once. I know the difference on the performance between the two is not much, but theres something about the DI that feels and sounds so much better than the regular xp.

+1
    I guess I'm old school. Give me carbs on my ski's (2 stroke anyway). Simple, easier/cheaper to rebuild, troubleshoot, and modifiy.
    The problem with carbs is that people forget that they need to be cleaned once in awhile.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicMS3 View Post
    The DI is more reliable and will run longer before needing to be rebuilt
    the regular XP has more aftermarket parts
    Ok that made absolutely no sense. Both are reliable with proper care. The DI is more expensive to repair and is slower.The carb models will run just as many hours as a DI and there many more parts available.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by red rider View Post
    Ok that made absolutely no sense. Both are reliable with proper care. The DI is more expensive to repair and is slower.The carb models will run just as many hours as a DI and there many more parts available.
    Amen to that! When does a stock carbed XP come with aftermarket stuff from the factory?

For comparison. I've had close buds that owned 98,99, 01, and 02 XP's. I myself own a 2000 XP, as my sig states.

DI's are slower, and offer very few mods. Some are great, some have issues. They get better fuel consumption in part to mid throttle...wot they consume the same as carbed skis. SD doesn't want you to know that!

The 01 and 02 carbed skis are the best out there, IMO. In 2000, the only thing SD lacked was making the exhaust manifold o-ringed like they updated in 01. Otherwise, the 2000 is equally reliable. 98 and 99's had issues, all repairable though.

A finely tuned and maintained carbed ski would be my recommendation, as the fun factor is much greater.

I have very little mech. problems with my 95 xp. Ilove it. and put lots of hours on it yearround

I previously owned a 98 XPL, 99 XPL and an 03 XPDI. I actually raced the DI in Supercourse Endurance races. The XPLs were slightly faster. I had the PPG Level 1 without the head work on my XP DI and could keep up with the carbed XPLs on the course.

The DIs are finicky though. It was hard to race, because of the starts. You can't press the start button and mash the gas at the same time, or it will freak the computer out and you spend 5 minutes trying to get reset to get it started again. The fuel pump issue is a concern also. Other than that, it was a great ski.

+1
    Robert, I have a hard time believing that these skis at WOT are using the same amount of fuel. I ride regularly with a 2003 RXDI and he barely uses any fuel. We got out for a full day one day last weekend, I went through 17 gallons in my 1996 XP and he didn't even use half a tank. He also rode a lot more than me. He was at WOT most of the time while I was backed off to conserve fuel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information