Thread: Salt Or No Salt

Salt Or No Salt

I have a couple of Ultra 250s I am thinking about taking out into San francisco bay. how bad is a single day in the salt water?

That's why they have a hook up to flush it out! Flush it immediately afterwards and it will be fine. There's thousands of us who only ride in the salt.....

How long do you run the flush?? Do you turn the water pressure up all the way for the flush or just a little pressure?

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Jason,

You can run in the salt no problem, you just need to flush well and rinse the engine compartment. For flushing, pick up a Salt Away dispenser and if you don't ride in salt that often, just use their product too. If you're out in salt all the time, dishwasher detergent in place of the expensive salt away is a more economical route.

I obviosly would recommend using Fluid Film aerosol on the engine and any other metal (keeping away from the SC belt of course). It makes rinsing a breeze and contains no solvent to eat up your plastic and rubber components. Fluid Film is heavily used in the salt mining industry to thwart corrosion on the mining equipment.

I'm here in Half Moon Bay if you'd like meet and to pick some up.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    read your manual....just a steady light stream.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbedell View Post
    How long do you run the flush?? Do you turn the water pressure up all the way for the flush or just a little pressure?

My motor stays dry for the most part just a little puddle in the bottom of the hull but the motor is dry to I still neeed to spray down the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbedell View Post
    My motor stays dry for the most part just a little puddle in the bottom of the hull but the motor is dry to I still neeed to spray down the motor?
    Jason, SF Bay can get pretty churned up so likely sooner or later you are going to get some salt water on top of the engine. Most of my rides are in the ocean and it's no problem. Spray down the engine with the nozzle on "light shower". Be careful if you need to spray forward past the engine towards the bow on the starboard side of the boat; that's where the air intake is.

SeaDoocer
    Hey guys,
    I found a very economical way of getting past the Salt Away expense that you might be interested in. There is a chemical company here in Phoenix called Sun Ray Chemical Co. and they make a very nice salt and hard water chemical that you mix 1 to 5 ratio. It's only $8 a gallon and makes 40 gallons. It works great and does not harm the paint. I used it on my catch pan underneath my soft water(salt pellets) tank where the salt had accumulated and it totally dissolved every bit of the salt around the bottom of the plastic holding tank. If you call them ask for Connie and they will even ship it straight to you. The # is 602-254-5931...It works great!

ES, I am planning on ordering some of the Fluid film this week..will PM you.

SeaDoocer. Good info. Thanks.

Thread Information