Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Hurricane....

Well I finally got my cane to run. Bought it about a year ago knowing that it didnt run, got it for $250. Well it turned out that the only thing wrong with it was the wiring was screwed up. Only had one wire going to the circuit breaker, which was the grey rev limiter wire from the cdi, well after fixing that problem, it started right up. Then I took out for its maiden voyage yesterday and now I understand the porpoising problem that you guys have been talking about, its horrible!! I have read that putting an extended ride plate on will help, but does it actually solve the problem? Anything would be an improvement to the way it is now. The other problem I noticed is that when I was coming back into the boat launch at idle, it wants to nose dive terribly, is this normal for a cane or is there something wrong with mine? Once I get everything running normal, I will start with some of the mods I have been reading about, just want to get on the water for now.

+1
    Hey Troy, Great to hear about another Hurricane on the water and I'm glad yours was a simple fix.
    Weight and weight position has a lot to do with how the Hurricane feels and handles. I think you'll find the opinions are varied, other than the porpoise of course.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    I have only ridden my POS three times and it nose dives any time I let off the gas bad, really really bad.

+1
    Anytime you want to get rid of that POS just send it this way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Anytime you want to get rid of that POS just send it this way.
    I'm not done tinkering with it yet and what would I have left to complain about. Have you tried to extend your pump yet??

+1
    $250 now that's a deal I paid $400 for one Hurricane and $300 for the other. The $300 Hurricane came with a trailer too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    I'm not done tinkering with it yet and what would I have left to complain about. Have you tried to extend your pump yet??
    I'm going to do the plate first and if you look at my post you'll see some go-fast goodies I just aquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post
    $250 now that's a deal I paid $400 for one Hurricane and $300 for the other. The $300 Hurricane came with a trailer too.
    I got the trailer too, had to put new hubs and bearing buddies and some new lights on it, but I figured I couldnt pass up that deal, $250 for a cane and trailer, running or not.

But now I have a new problem, went to take it out today, put it in the water, fired right up, took off, went about 100 feet and it died, tried starting it a few more times and no go. Then the battery was dying, but I was already too far from the launch and the current was pulling me farther and farther away, ended up getting somebody to tow me back to the launch. Now I have no idea what is wrong with it. Any ideas where to start?

+1
    Sounds like mine, I haven't even looked at it yet. Have you cleaned your carbs? I haven't done mine yet. It could be electrical. Al said after it does it to check for spark. I still have to try mine again and see if it is a spark issue. What year is your 96 or 97?

Its a 96. I'm hoping its not electrical. I took it out Friday and it ran just fine for 30-45 minutes then I took it out of the water as it was the first time I had it out so I didnt want to push my luck and end up breaking down with nobody around. I guess I am gonna go ahead and rebuild the carbs and see if that solves anything, where can I get a rebuild kit for a decent price?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information