Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

had a blast on the SLX today...until it locked up

running 6450 rpms past few times out, running R&D short wing grate and an OP short plate...

ski turns like crap, ski holeshots like crap, and the ski accelerates outta turns like crap well, not like crap, but coming from riding an RXP with big boost and head worse, it's just not quite the same thrill, but fun in its own way.

i throw this thing around like a rag doll and have a smile the whole time i'm on it...

right until i had her screaming and cavitating packed with seaweed wrapped around the driveshaft and the ski makes a bad noise and locks up... THUD...

pump bearings... AGAIN!!

3rd set of pump bearings in 1 year on this ski.... the second set of bearings were installed 3 weeks ago, and now they are roasted again. never any sign of water intrusion either.

was always chasing around a slight driveline vibration.... today it went away! felt so smooth, i loved it.... then it would come and go... out of a turn and on holeshot slight driveline vibration... then kinda let go of throttle to a cruising rpm and punch it again and it smooths right out and sounds and feels great.... and then the lock up happened 2 hours later

hmmmmm

+1
    Steve,
    See if you can find a Polaranus driveline alignment tool. The motor mounts may need a couple of shims.

BeerDart rents and sells the alignment tool.

+1
    Alignment isn't really necessary on this watecraft as it has the doughnut driveshaft coupler...but it doesn't hurt to get things as straight as possible. Sounds to me you may have a bad pump stator...meaning the stator itself...not bearings and stuff. The stator may have come out of true circle causing the new bearings to bind on the shaft and it takes it's toll on everything.

Also, your rpms should be a little higher...should be around 6700rpms with stock heads...or around 6550 with high compression heads. Sounds like something is putting undo load on the engine that shouldn't be.

Also, for hole shot issues and other things it's the prop you are using not an issue with the watercraft itself. Get a tweaked NuJet impeller for it and you wont believe the difference!

+1
    well.. it's kind of a bog i believe at holeshot... sometimes you punch that throttle and there's just no motor behind the throttle. i found that one of the accelerator pump jets was clogged, cleared that out, but holeshot still is like there's no throttle response... it's not that it's a bad prop or cavitation, there's just nothing happening...

the carbs were just stripped and soaked and rebuilt with all new gaskets and whatnot....

i have access to another pump... i'll steal that one, lol...

also... confession... can running 3 pump bolts cause the pump to flex or move and cause this bearing failure?

Banned User
    I have to ask a stupid question.
    Did you put the bearing spacer back in? With a failure that soon, it's possible that it was missed.

+1
    yes... the bearing spacer is in place wetherby....

how much water needs to be passing thru the pump to cool it to prevent a seizure? i mean... it was PACKED!!! i can honestly say u've never seen a pump as packed with seaweed as mine was... and me revving the piss out of it... could bearings have overheated? or not really?

put it this way... i was jumping over land and grass with the ski from one canal into the next, lmao

www.springbreak-florida.com rgard32's Avatar
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i think this time i might have been you that fried em LOL

too funny haha

ps--- na 3 pump bolts work fine..friend of mine runs his .goin on 50 hrs now with 3........BUT not over land LOL

+1
    If it were me, I'd get that 4th bolt added somehow...most definitely could be the problem...it WILL flex!

Don't you love being watched?? milesengineer's Avatar
    I am not for sure about that. I have 2 stock bolts and one piece of all thread holding my pump on. So far I have broken three steering and trim nozzles and never had a problem from the pump....
    I would say he lodged massive amounts of mud and muck in the pump causing the issue..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information