Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oil injection

Subarman

Arrow oil injection

Help, I'm a new owner of an old doo. I don't want to use the injection system. Can I just drain and cap the oil tank, or is there more to it. Thanks for any and all help.

+1
    Not sure on what model and year you have but if it is an 800 or smaller engine you need to keep the oil tank in place and full of oil.There are two oil lines. One that feeds the oil pump and the second that feeds oil to the rotary valve.You can plug the injection lines and block off the oil pump but oil still needs to get to the rotary valve...

Subarman

Question

ok now I'm confussed. What is the rotary valve and what is the oil pump? The engine is a two stroke, and doesn't have crankcase oil right? If its easier to keep the injected oil (for pre-mix) than how do I test the flow and output? The whole reason I ask is due to the fact that one of the ski's I bought smokes when running and the other does not. Any insight is helpfull, thanks.

what he is talken about if it is the xp 800 with rave system is what he is talken about. they have oil squirted on the rave valves to lube them when they move i think. i dont own one but have seen the drawings for the motor. and yes were 2 stroke with no oil in the case. we have a oil pump that pumps the oil just like the fuel sending unit on the fuel tank. if you a 720 cc and down you should just have one oil line. that is the sending line that is hooked to the varbile injection system. i was wondering the same thing but my question is because it is varible to our rpm is there a performance drop?

Jug Inspector
    Quote Originally Posted by amdeus View Post
    what he is talken about if it is the xp 800 with rave system is what he is talken about. they have oil squirted on the rave valves to lube them when they move i think. i dont own one but have seen the drawings for the motor. and yes were 2 stroke with no oil in the case. we have a oil pump that pumps the oil just like the fuel sending unit on the fuel tank. if you a 720 cc and down you should just have one oil line. that is the sending line that is hooked to the varbile injection system. i was wondering the same thing but my question is because it is varible to our rpm is there a performance drop?
    Wrong about the RAVEs.

You can remove the oil injection completely by:

DRAINING THE OIL TANK.

Removing the lines to the intake manifold. Seal the holes in the manifold. Then take the MAG cover off and remove the oil pump, and the plastic drive inside it. Seal the hole where the pump drive used to be so you don't get anything inside the magneto housing. Put the MAG cover back on.
    There is a large tube that feeds oil to the front of the engine to lube the ROTARY valve. Take that off the oil tank and install a "T" fitting. The straight across part of the "T" must go back to the other large tube that comes out of the top of the ROTARY valve housing built into the engine case. The back one is for overflow and goes back in the TOP of the oil tank. Now you have a "T" that goes across the engine. Take the top unused connector of the "T" and run a hose to the top of the hull and install a closeable fitting. Fill with 2-stroke oil. Run ski, re-fill, over and over until you have an almost completely full tube of oil and the level doesn't drop. Zip-tie or fasten somehow to top of ski. If that oil level drops you'll know you have bad seals and it's time to change them

Your other choice is to remove just the pump and leave minimal oil in the tank. The Rotary MUST be lubed.

If you have a ski that is smoking too much, or too little, check adjustment. Get a mirror so you can see the front of the engine. There is a line on the pump that should line up with the line on the turning plate that the cable attaches to when at idle.

Check your compression on both skis as well.

Bryan

injection

I was at the lake today...and after spending several hours 'kickin their butts', I found myself in a conversation about the injection...there were several people that were of the oppinion that the stock oil injection sux. And their shop advised them to 'disconnect' it and go to straight premix...

I said that is fine if you want to keep the ski forever...but someday you will want to sell it and any potential buyer will want to be able to add Oil in the Oil tank and Gas in the Gas tank, that way when they buy 3.25 gallons of gas they don't have to go through elaborate calculations to get the mix right.

They are very reliable in most cases, and require very little maintenance...So my advice to you is KEEP IT STOCK. Find out what is broke and get it fixed before you seize the engine... Then you will have no problems with how much to mix and ensure the entire engine is getting the lube it is required...and if you ever do decide to sell it...you are Good to Go!

Subarman

Smile

Thank you breakstuff, you provided the info I was looking for. As to keeping the injection system, I'd rather rule out the possibility of a failure than to have one, no offense to anyone who wants to keep the injection system. Thank you again one and all, this site is greatly helpfull.

Jug Inspector
    FYI the oil injection systems are extremely reliable. Mikuni made some quality stuff. Regardless of what other people "hear from other people".

I have yet to meet someone (NOT saying they aren't out there) that seized their engine due to lack of lube from the oil pump crapping out. Running lean and seizing, oil filters getting clogged, linkage coming undone, etc seem to cause people to blame the oil pump...but when they put it in a vise and bench-test it with a drill lo and behold it was just fine.

Bryan

what about any performane lose thou? is there any?

Jug Inspector
    Technically you will have worse performance and more oil usage out of pre-mix on a stock ski. Variable rate oil injection is designed to fulfill the needs of the 2-stroke engine throughout the RPM range. The engineers were pretty smart guys.

Bryan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information