Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Bought an 05 RXT - Bad SC? Ceramic washer disaster?

Maybe some of you can help advise me of what to do in this situation. I just bought an 05 RXT (39 hours) off ebay yesterday. It was advertised as a nice boat and didn't mention anything defective. I used to have a 96 XP back in the day, and this is my first experience with PWC's since about 1998.

I got it from a PWC dealer (Yamaha) who took it in on trade. I went to take delivery of it today. They let me take it out on the lake for about 5 minutes and it ran very smooth up to about 6300 RPMs and stayed there. The dreamometer showed 55, but I knew from the old days that they never have been reliable, so I didn't think too much of it. When I got back to the ramp I told them it was a bit slower than I expected and didn't have the acceleration I thought it advertised, but I also knew it was a much heavier boat than my old XP. They just shrugged it off as not knowing since they are a Yamaha dealer, which, by the way, I'm not doubting at all. They seemed like nice folk...

I paid them and went on my way. On the way home I thought about it more and wondered if I might had been using the "learning key" during the demo.

When I got home (nearly a two hour drive) I got on the web and found the RPM's to be FAR less than what they should be. I then ran upon all the postings about the ceramic washers and figured I found the culprit there. Ouch!!!

I called the salesman and told him my delima and he told me he needed to speak with the owner tomorrow and get back to me, so I'll wait to hear from him on that.

As for the SC problem, is there any way this isn't what it is? I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, but it did run very smooth, but just lacked power. What I mean to say is, does the engine usually run rough if the ceramic pieces are floating around in there? Any easy way to check?

Thanks!

+1
    To rule out the SC, pull the SC intake tube and try to spin the SC. If it spins washers, no spin something else.

I have seen quite a few RXP/RXT for sale with low hrs.

Sounds like washer issue all day!!!

RPM's and MPH were exact.....

In the process of buying my RXT I rode an 06 with low hours, worked great for about 15 minutes, RPM's at 7950 with the speedo showing 69, then with no warning and no sounds/clunking it dropped to the same rpm's and MPH as that ski!!!

I was like WTF!!!

Could be some other stuff but probably not, these boats are pretty damn reliable aside from the washers, but yeah stick your hand in the SC and see if you can spin em... if it is blown SC washers I would probably attempt to reverse the deal.... even though it is a problem that can be fixed if done properly, some money is involved as well as some time, proabably the equivalent of the summer that is left and then some...

Being the type of guy I am, I would tell them to get bent and buy a completely seperate ski with no issues in the past that are as detrimental.... get an 05-06 with low hours and change those washers, then you know your ski is damn near bulletproof!!!

But yeah, that sucks man...

+1
    common sense would tell me they knew if that boat wasnt running max RPM that it was hit to begin with. REGARDLESS of them being a Yamaha dealer they are in the WATERCRAFT BUSINESS and i ASSURE you they know about SEADOOS ceramic washer PROBLEM because they USE IT AS A SELLING TOOL AGAINST seadoo dealers i promise you. i would do as the grentleman above suggested and TAKE IT BACK ASAP AND GET YOUR $ BACK and get a DIFFERENT SKI. not one broke right off its a chance either way u go because another may have already broke and be inside there improperly fixed but its the chance u take its a cruel world. good luck

If you paid by check.I would stop payment.Might cost you. And the dealer might get pissed off. But F_ck Him. He was gonna screw you.So you might as well screw him first.

+1
    If you paid by check.I would stop payment.Might cost you. And the dealer might get pissed off. But F_ck Him. He was gonna screw you.So you might as well screw him first.

those r Doctors orders mister!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha!

if its a washer problem i think it is ) than TAKE THE SKI BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    or cancel the check !!!!!!!!!!!!!

you have NOOOO idea how many minutes or hours the ski run with BAD washer.

take it back and get a different ski with no SC problem.
    good luck

+1
    Just checked... Spins freely.

I paid $2500 in cash, and the balance via PayPal. I'll certainly give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but I'm hoping they'll step up and do the right thing tomorrow when they call (or when I call them). I literally didn't own it for two hours when I called them, and that was all drive time.

Thanks for the help, guys.

If it spins freely, the washers are gone. Dont give them the benefit of the doubt. they are gone.

Last edited by lugnut; 08-12-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information