Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 SPX - Dead Clicking

Great site Hulk. I am here frequently to get information on my skis, but I finally had to join to get everyone's opinion on my problem.

I walked out Saturday night to my 97 SPX and the battery was dead. I had last started it on wednesday earlier that week. I charged the battery for 30 mins and it started up on saturday with no problem. I let the battery trickle charge all night. Hit the water 7:00AM on Sunday, Rode until 9:45AM when the ski was turned off. Riders switched skis. SPX wouldn't start. There is only a clicking sound. Towed the ski back. Got it home tried charging the battery again and nothing but clicking. Tracked the clicking down to the rear electical box next to the battery. The engine isn't seized or locked up, I can turn it by hand easily. Do I need to replace the rear electical box, or should I try the battery first?? The ski IS 10yrs old, however you would think they took it out of the crate yesterday. It is clean inside and out. I bought the ski used and it sat in a garage for a while without any attention. The ski runs GREAT!!, but when I first got it the seals around the drive shaft cracked and the hull filled up with water. Could this be an electrical problem caused by that at event back in may? The ski is riden regularly without any problems. Let me know what you guys think.

Jug Inspector
    If you're charging it manually, the battery holds a charge, and starts/runs when the battery has juice you have a charging system issue.

Basics first:

Check condition of all connections.

Check your fuses.

If ok, start the ski. Turn water on, rev to 5k rpms. Throw an ammeter around the positive battery cable. Should have around 5 amps. You can also put a voltmeter across the batter terminals when it's running. You should have at least 14 volts, but no more than 15.

If you're low like I assume you are - check the resistance of the generating coil. Resistance between two of the yellow wires should be .1-1.0 ohms. Change ONE of the Yellow wires to the remaining yellow wires. Should be the same value. If not your charging coil is shot.

Bryan

Thanks for the reply. I was going to just say F--- It and buy a whole new box, but that might be a little drastic. Bear with me here. I have been driving and working on outboards for 15 years, but now I have two skis and I am trying to figure them out. So, after that lead up, where is the charging system at on the ski?

Jug Inspector
    Changing the electrical box wouldn't fix your problem. Well, most likely it wouldnt. The charging coils are under the mag cover, "front" of the engine.

If you perform that test and you're ok - it's your voltage regulator that's in the electrical box.

Bryan

My biggest issue is that I cannot get it to start to check these.

Jug Inspector
    Sorry I admit to skimming your post.

Take a test light and put it between the the negative on the battery, and the positive (big red) wire that goes to the starter. Hit the start button. No light means bad solenoid (I just had this problem myself), if it lights up it means bad starter.

Or a bad connection.

My issue was that there was water in the rear electrical box and the solenoid sat in it, and would only click. It was all rusted inside.

Bryan

There is a little bit of water in the rear electrical box. It's damp in there, but I wouldn't say that it was full of water. No rust on anything. I guess there might be enough water in there to screw everything up. Well. I will give those all a shot tomorrow. Keep you posted. Thanks for the info.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 04RXP22 View Post
    There is a little bit of water in the rear electrical box. It's damp in there, but I wouldn't say that it was full of water. No rust on anything. I guess there might be enough water in there to screw everything up. Well. I will give those all a shot tomorrow. Keep you posted. Thanks for the info.
    Replace the solenoid, it is your problem. Since it got wet, the contacts are pitted inside and voltage isn't flowing through it anymore to your starter.

Thanks, I called my dealer and they hooked me up with a new solenoid. I am installing it tonight. Keep you posted.

Jug Inspector
    That's like a $70 part from them if I remember correctly.

I use one from a lawn tractor. Rated at higher amperage and cost me $12.99. Only difference was that it needed to be grounded, the ones in the skis use a spade connector.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information