Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Won't start, but gauges work???

We went to fire up our Ultra today. The gauges all turned on (oil, gas, and trim). The trim motor worked, but the ski would not turn over? It wouldn't even try turning - nothing.

We changed the battery, still nothing?

Please help us diagnose the problem. Possible loose connection with the starter? Where is the starter located and could it be something wrong on the hand grip area? Is there a fuse?

Thanks.
    Last edited by eye4speed; 08-12-2007 at 09:25 PM.

Things to check:

Battery cable connections clean??

Lanyard switch
    Start button --- should beable to Ohm these out

Soleniod --- I just bought my Ultra and haven't had time to find everything but I believe it is located in the electrical box. It should read 12 volts on the battery side and 12 volts on both sides with the start button pressed (don't forget the lanyard).

I doubt it is the starter. They will usally make a noise or give some kind of symptoms when they go. Let us know what you find out.

Yep - had lanyard in place, new battery with clean connections.

How do I check the ohms behind the green starter button?

The ski was working fine last weekend with no symptoms. Then we tried again a week later, and nothing???

Good call on the solenoid too... is that a quick fix? What does the solenoid do as it relates to ignition?

Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by eye4speed; 08-12-2007 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eye4speed View Post
    Yep - had lanyard in place, new battery with clean connections.

Remember, a new battery doen't = good battery. They are electronic and can (and will) fail at any time. However I don't think that the battery is your problem.

How do I check the ohms behind the green starter button?

Find where the start switch wire connect to the soleniod, disconnect them and test with a Ohm meter. Should read open normally and very low(or no Ohms) with the button pressed.

The ski was working fine last weekend with no symptoms. Then we tried again a week later, and nothing???

Good call on the solenoid too... is that a quick fix? What does the solenoid do as it relates to ignition?

The soleniod is a relay (or switch) that closes, allowing battery voltage to flow to the starter when the start button is pressed. If you follow the positive battery cable from the battery you will run into it. I will try to open my ultra up tommorrow and take some pictures. It is a quick fix and normally not to expensive.

Thanks for the reply.
    Hope all of that makes sense. Let us know what you find.

ground?

I would just about guarantee a bad ground on this one. Check the black wire coming off the battery and see if its loose on the engine. You've got to have a bad ground somewhere. You could take the starter out, doesn't take 2 min. and ground it to a pipe bolt and see if it will turn over. If it won't turn over there then you KNOW its a bad ground somewhere either on the starter side or the battery side but I'm betting a bad ground somewhere.

I would just about guarantee a bad ground on this one.

The gauges all work and the trim motor works. If the ground was bad on the battery, wouldn't everything not work? Could there be a separate ground for just the starter that came loose? Where is the starter located (inside electrical box or what does it look like)? Thanks.

The starter is on the bottom front (righthand side sitting on the ski) of the engine. There is no ground connection to the starter, it grounds through the engine block. To check the ground, follow the black battery cable to it's connection to the engine block. Make sure it is tight and clean.

For what it's worth, my Polaris was doing the exact same thing as your ski and it was a bad soleniod.

Any tips on checking how to see if a solenoid works or not?

About how much for a replacement?

If you have the manual the test procedure is on pg 14-19 and 14-20. You will need a volt / ohm meter to check it. It is located in the small electrical case by the battery. Or there is the redneck way You can eliminate the starter and engine ground by putting a screwdriver across the 2 large lugs on the side of the case . If the engine turns over then the starter and ground are good. If you put 12 volts yellow /red wire going to the starter relay then the engine should turn over if it doesnt then the relay is bad. If it does turn over then the problem is between the relay and the switch. Hope this helps pm me if you dont have a manual.

+1
    I think Ultras die in pairs. I tried to start mine the other day and thought the battery way dead. Charged it up and it still wont crank, well I take that back, it cranks about every 20th time you push the start button. Other then that all i hear is the relay clicking. Gauges are not reading low bat like they were before I charged it. What happens if you try to start with your key turned on?? I dont have an on/off switch anymore so I was thinking that might have something to do with it. I hate to think that the high compression heads killed the starter but that is always possible too I guess. I'm going to try and start with the plugs out to see if the starter is loosing its umph. Let me know what you guys think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information