Spark Plug change 2003 gtxsc

Now I open the tool kit and see nothing that is going to help me get the spark plugs out of that deep narrow hole they are in. I am missing one item in the kit - is it a special tool? I am using more gas (I think) and I am also thinking it wouldn't hurt to have fresh plugs in there. Help ?

Annie

A change of plugs, assuming they are properly gapped and installed can't hurt. You don't have to change them very often (1/season or 50 hours the book says to replace after 100 hours) if things are running good. I don't use the tools from the kit. I use a 'spark plug' socket. It has an internal rubber boot that 'grabs' the spark plug. If that doesn't work, you can use a telescoping magnet to reach down in the hole. I have done this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsnanni View Post
    Now I open the tool kit and see nothing that is going to help me get the spark plugs out of that deep narrow hole they are in. I am missing one item in the kit - is it a special tool? I am using more gas (I think) and I am also thinking it wouldn't hurt to have fresh plugs in there. Help ?

Annie

wilsnanni: Welcome to the Board!
    ther are various length of spark plug sockets you could obtain from auto parts store, sears, mac, snap-on etc. I personnally use a GM extended reach one piece spark plug socket. when installing plugs, another trick is to get a piece of rubber hose that fits tightly over the porcelin of the plugs or get an old spark plug boot and push one end over a #3 philiips head screw driver. insert the plug into the boot or hose and feed down into hole, thread plug in until it stops, remove your homemade tool then hand tighten the rest of the way to proper tightening with the socket/wrench!... Hope this helps ya!...PR...

Thread Information