Question Corrosion Prevention/Water Displacement?

I use my Ultra 250x in salt water (Atlantic Ocean) most of the time. I use the product “Salt Eliminator” to flush and spray the ski down. It does a great job at remove salt off the hull and other exposed parts. My dealer told me not to use any lubricant type products on the engine as it will cause slippage on the supercharger belt. He said spray the “Salt Eliminator” on the engine to remove the salt. This is great, but it does not displace moisture nor does it prevent corrosion. I use WD-40 on my Ultra 150’s.

What is everybody using on the Ultra 250x?

SeaDoocer
    How much is the Salt Eliminator?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Not only will wd 40 make the supercharger belt slip, but it will also break down plastic and rubber parts in the engine compartment.

I get HEAVY salt accumulation when I ride (100% ocean riding) and after I spray down with salt terminator, I drive home with my seats off and drain plugs open to let everything dry out and leave it in my garage like that for a couple of days. I also put a good sized rag right at the base of the fuel tank where the engine ends to soak up the leftover water. Then, I spray the whole engine compartment down with CRC656, carefully avoiding the SC belt. I'm @ 20 hrs with no problems so far; engine looks like I just bought it. The CRC protects everything (especially electrical stuff) and makes it easy to wash down.

Best, LB

(.. I predict a Fluid Film post soon ..)

corosion-x works great!(except on belts!)

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Not only will wd 40 make the supercharger belt slip, but it will also break down plastic and rubber parts in the engine compartment.
    The reason why it and CRC breaks down plastic and rubber is because the majority of the product has solvent in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lordblack View Post
    I get HEAVY salt accumulation when I ride (100% ocean riding) and after I spray down with salt terminator, I drive home with my seats off and drain plugs open to let everything dry out and leave it in my garage like that for a couple of days. I also put a good sized rag right at the base of the fuel tank where the engine ends to soak up the leftover water. Then, I spray the whole engine compartment down with CRC656, carefully avoiding the SC belt. I'm @ 20 hrs with no problems so far; engine looks like I just bought it. The CRC protects everything (especially electrical stuff) and makes it easy to wash down.

Best, LB

(.. I predict a Fluid Film post soon ..)
    CRC656 is 65-75% solvent!! You don't have to listen or believe me...... check their MSDS.

Anything posting here in the 250 section will be responded to on this topic. I do search "Fluid Film" though. I suppose i should hunt around for this topic, but that's not why i am here....I own a Ultra250X.

Fluid Film contains NO SOLVENT. It is lanolin based and safe on plastics and most all rubber. (On 100% natural rubber, some minor swelling can occur.) I don't think you'll find any natural rubber on your ski! This is the perfect product to use on your ski for lubrication and corrossion prevention....and MUCH more. (just don't get it on your belt...it will cause it to slip) Try to find someone that doesn't like it that has used it for things it's good for.

LB predicts well, and we've talked. Have you burned through the rest of that 656 case yet? When is your plastic and rubber gonna start cracking?
    It's gonna happen just like TN says it will if you keep using solvent based products, which is all of the "leading products".

For the time being, Greenhulk members can buy Fluid Film directly through me at a discount, you won't find anywhere better.

Ultra250XRider - seriously - check out this thread: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32904

SeaDoocer
    You rascal! What a shameless plug! lol

Salt Eliminator was like $24.00 for a quart and the dispenser. I think I got it from Dennis Kirk. I look else where and everybody was the same price.
    www.denniskirk.com

+1
    Salt Eliminator, Salt-a-way and other similiar products are just overpriced detergents. Buy some dishwasher detergent and save a bundle....same results. Using WD-40 (and to a lesser extent CRC) will actually increase corrosion on the metal surfaces. It locks the salt to the metal. Worst junk you could use!

Richard

My recollection is that under the early Kawi salt care thread Mitch suggested using silicone on all plastic and rubber and something like the CRC on all metal. Thanks for explaining that the solvent content in some of these sprays is the reason. I think I wanna try EShakrs Fluid Film tho given his marketing presentation--makes sense to me! BTW, do you spray whatever stuff yur using down the steering column onto that plate? What about taking the 2 part plastic cover (that covers the steering column) apart and spritzing that or is it sealed against the salt water enough as is? (I started lookin in there when I was mountin my RAM GPS unit).

Thread Information