Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Memeber, Bought a 2000 XL800 Yamaha

Hello everyone, I'm new here and just bought a Waverunner, so I have a lot to learn. This ski has very few hours and looks completely new, always under full cover....EXCEPT it doesn't run..ouch!!

So being mechanically inclined, and getting a Bro deal...I hope, I decided to see if I can fix it. The previous owner (a bud) said he was running and it stopped, then he started it and it ran a little longer and stopped, maybe one more time them no more. He is totally not mechanically inclined!

With a charged battery I hit the switch and all I hear is a click inside the electrical box at the rear of the engine compartment where the spark plug wires come out, a starter relay? but no noise at the starter.

I'll keep you all in the loop as I run down this path of discovery!!

Thanks everyone and don't be hard on a newbie.

Havanabama

Well today I'm going to bypass the electrical box and try to juice the starter straight from the battery to see if I can get any life out of the starter, any noice at all. If not then I guess I'll take the starter off.

Does anybody have any advice on how to get the starter off. The confined space is so small, I can't see how to get it off. I ordered a service manual so that should help, but until it arrives, I'd really appreciate any tips on starter removal.

Fingers crossed that it's the starter. I pulled the plugs and looked inside the cylinders and didn't see anything out of the norm, so maybe it's not siezed. The previous owner said it was not over heated when it stopped running.

Havanabama

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk

down load the manual for the gp800 the motor is the same so this will give the info you are looking for. The starter has two bolts in the rear that bolt to the case the ground wire is attached to one of them, remove those and pull starter towards rear of ski to remove.

+1
    With the plugs out you should be able to turn it over by hand.

osidebill, thanks a bunch, I had one of the bolts out yesterday but didn't know the other one, the ground was also holding the starter in , thanks, now I'll try again.

One other thought, can't I run a jumper cable from the positive on the battery to the positive on the starter thus bypassing the starter reply and such and shouldn't the starter turn over if it's working??

Thanks again

Hey mrbtd, with the plugs out, where can I get to the shaft to turn it by hand??

At the rear of the engine there is a cover over the shaft, do I remove that plastic guard there or is there some other place. In the aft locker the shaft is inside the rubber hose and would be difficult to get to it there. Thanks for you input, Havanabama

btw I downloaded the GP800 manual so I good there for now, will be removing the starter today.

Well this afternoon I pulled the starter and checked it out..it was fine, some surface rust that I wire brushed off, cleaned and painted with Rustoleum black and reinstalled. Noticed that with the starter off the voltage to the ground and positive to the starter was less than 1 volt, so I took off the electrical cover and shorted aross the starter rely and wa la!! the engine turned over super easy with the plugs out!! So I guess it's not siezed up. I added a little 2 cycle oil into the plug holes for good measure and turned it over a little more, been sitting for over 6 months.

So tomorrow I go buy a starter rely, 2 new plugs, a reverse cable too. If it runs I will be jumping up and down!!.

Only thing I can't figure is the previous owner said it died on the water and wouldn't restart, just a click noise from the electrical box when he hit the switch, which I heard too, that's why I took off the electrical cover. So why did it die if it's turning over easy now? Any ideas?

Also how important is it to put those clips on the power valves? Will this save my engine from dropping a power valve into the engine??

Thanks for all ya'll help so far.

more to come,

Havanabama

+1
    There should be some schematics and how to's in the manual make sure the relay is bad before you buy one. Might be something else, start/stop switch wiring can be an issue also.

osidebill, I went home at lunch and did the test on the rely and it failed, that was great news, so I then went to my local Yamaha dealer and bought a new starter reply, after work I installed it and after new spark plugs, and a bit of ether in the carbs, the engine stated up. I connecteed the water and ran it till it got warmed up.. This is great news. The multifunction instrument indicated that the engine has 76 hours on it, so I assume for a 2000 model that low hours. I am stoked to get such a great deal, and that the engine wasn't blown, just a $50 rely!!!!

So now I'm redoing the trailer bearings, one of the outside bearing is seized ont he axle, but some heat and a puller should get it off, and hopefully by this weekend, I should be on the water.

Thanks so much for all the good advice I have recieved already from this forum. I am proud to be a member here!!

havanabama

I did the Waveater clips earlier this year.Dead easy job.I hadn't realised how stupid the original design was,and how near to a tragedy I'd been when I saw how close one of the pins was to falling out! Get them done, and enjoy the ski. Great to hear when someone gets a bargain! Also, with all the debate about the oil pump, make damn sure the oil feed pipes to the carbs and oil pump are tied on REAL good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information