Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question '97 SLTX 1050 firing problem

Hi all, new to site, need help with my 1050. She has been running about 5300 RPM at 41 mph, down from a year ago, 6300 RPM at 52 mph. Slow out of the hole and sometimes shuts off in idle. Had more problems the other day, 3500 RPM max and 27 mph. Brought it home and found one of the spark plug wires detached from the cap. Went ahead and cut all wires back a 1/4 inch and reinstalled caps. Found out the aft cylinder is not firing. Checked all plugs and wires - all plugs are sparking, the arc can be seen in daylight. The cylinder is giving good compression. Removed the carburetors and disassembled the rear carb - both diaphrams look good and work and the needle valve is operating properly. Reinstalled after cleaning but still no fire in the one cylinder. The last thing I can think of is to check the reeds. First time working on the ski - are the reeds the source of my trouble or is there something else I am missing?

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums Chris!

How do you know the rear cylinder isn't firing? What are all 3 compression numbers? What do the plugs look like?

The crank could be out of index. The test procedure is in the "Tech Section under "Domestic Engine"

If it were the reeds it would likely backfire through the carb.

Thanks for the welcome.

I checked the firing on the cylinders by removing the spark plugs one at a time, the first two bogged the engine down significantly but removing the 3rd made absolutely no difference in the idle.

I have not run a formal compression check, used the cheap method of plugging it with my thumb - which was quickly and strongly blown off the engine!

The plugs are wet, indicating that it is burning rich but all 3 are wet and 2 of the 3 are firing. Even switched the plugs between cylinders - all plugs will fire except in the aft cylinder.

To completely eliminate electrical problems, I switched the wiring connection in the electrical box to swap the wires firing to the middle and aft cylinders. To maintain firing order I then swapped the spark plug wires on the same two cylinders - thought process being that if it were the coil or cdi the non-firing cylinder should move to the middle cylinder. The middle cylinder still fired and the aft still did not. This should have eliminated electrical concerns, correct?

I also thought that the reeds would cause backfire, and now that I think back I do remember some backfire on the water. However, running it on the trailer it has yet to backfire.

I will check into the crank index, thanks for the help!

+1
    ok if im reading your posts correctly.......in the first post you said all plugs are sparking.......in your 2nd post you said front and middle are sparking but not the back cylinder......is that correct?so you mis spoke in the first post right?

if im correct so far......then i had the same problem in mine a month ago.....turned out to be the cdi.swapped it out with an extra i had and the ski runs great now.

No, I spoke correctly in the first post. I guess I did not speak clearly in the second post. Where I said "all 3 are wet and 2 of the 3 are firing", I should have said that only 2 of the 3 cylinders are firing.

I have spark on all three plugs, but only the first two cylinders will fire. Swapping plugs between cylinders and rerouting the wires coming from the CDI produces same results - rear cylinder will not fire but all 3 plugs are sparking.

+1
    I'd check compression first.

i think 20 lbs will move your finger , a compresion tester is 20 bucks at walmart

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismc View Post
    No, I spoke correctly in the first post. I guess I did not speak clearly in the second post. Where I said "all 3 are wet and 2 of the 3 are firing", I should have said that only 2 of the 3 cylinders are firing.

I have spark on all three plugs, but only the first two cylinders will fire. Swapping plugs between cylinders and rerouting the wires coming from the CDI produces same results - rear cylinder will not fire but all 3 plugs are sparking.
    at this point i would say do a compression check,you have fuel and spark.....if your timming was that far off i think it would try to fire and backfire.most likely you dont have enough psi to fire.

Thanks to all. Before any significant tear downs I am going to invest the $20 to check compression #s and will update with the results.

So after the compression check the #s are as follows: front cylinder 120psi, middle 118psi and rear 121psi (still not firing).

Recap - compression is good, spark is present on all plugs and I'm getting fuel. Rear cylinder still won't fire. Could it be the crank as axgrider previously mentioned?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information