Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I Have a Bad Computer?

Here are the symptoms on my '03 GPR:

1) Low idle. The ski will idle very low, but not all of the time. Ski will stall and then restart with the throttle slightly cracked open. After rding for a while, idle may be OK or may still be low. Plug changes do not affect it.

2) No start. The ski will not start due to zero spark. The "engine" symbol will flash, but no code because the ski won't start. Does not always happen, but annoying when it does happen.

My guess is the ECU is going bad. If the coils were bad, the ski wouldn't run, period. Anybody else wanna hazard a guess?

Eric

+1
    hi eric,
    coils will run if bad, ive had first hand experience with them,they will tend to break down under load..
    have you ohm'd your leads and coils.
    from what i am lead to belive the ECU is bullit proof..
    some of the tuners will chime in soon but it may be worth getting your TPS sensor checked

paul

Thank you

I have the manual, but it says to test the TPS with the diagnostic system. If somebody can tell me which wires to test I'll do that.

As for the coils, I can easily check those, and I will. Thank you. Kinda strange that they would all go bad together, though.

Eric

check your throttle linkage. If the linkage doesn't go all the way to idle, the computer will not give it any spark. I am having the same problem. It will start to idle high, then the buzzer, down to limp mode, and will not restart unless you snap the finger throttle a few times, then will run good for a while.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like a tps. When engine light is flashing you do not need to start the ski to get codes, When the light flashes hit the display button and hold it pushed until it displays a code. I have had a few tps with the lever on the tps lose it's spring tension and not return back to idle and you have to snap the throttle a couple times to get it back in place.

Thank you

I will check those things and report back. I tried to get the display to show the code, but it wouldn't. The engine light flahes, but not even "01" gets displayed.

Eric

I Finally Got a Code!

The ski finally threw me a code. Code 15 - engine temperature sensor. Now, does anybody have an idea where it is so I can troubleshoot it?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The ski finally threw me a code. Code 15 - engine temperature sensor. Now, does anybody have an idea where it is so I can troubleshoot it?

Eric
    That sensor is on the #1 Cylinder by the intake. The harness plugs in near the fuel injectors and all that. I just had a tps do the same thing on my ski.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Bryan is correct, Its on the number 1 cylinder by the throttle bodys. Check to see if the plug is in place and pull the plug and check for corrosion. If that is fine you could have a bad sensor and it will make your ski not start.

Water in the EFI controller connectors where they splice in the factory harness gives me a code 15 and 48 sometimes. Seals on the connectors cant handle a direct hit from my water hose when flushing and cleaning the ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information