Thread: testing stator?

testing stator?

I think I have a shorted out stator (96xp). I have the stator off and a multimeter. How do I test the stator?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    use the lowest ohm load setting. then there should be about 1ohm between all the yellow wires and there should be no resistance between the yellow and black wire. if you have resistance between the black wire and the yellow wires you have a bad stator.
    i checked mine like that form what i've been told how to do it. there might be other ways of doing it but i don't know how.
    i have no way of seeing if how i tested it was true cause my ski is still apart and probly wont know till this winter or next spring

be sure to test the pick-up also. that can also cause your loss of power. its the little black housing with a little metal pin on it that goes outside of the mag.
    i think that "96XPSS" might be able to offer a better insight if i am wrong he knows alot about these machines

stator test

I am getting 0 resistance between yellow wires and 1/2 ohm resistance between black and all 3 yellow.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the way i tested mine was at the connection where you plug the MPEM into the stator. i think that the way you are testing its ok too. if you have resistance beween the yellows there and none on black and yellow your ok. sounds like you have a bad stator...sorry bro. i talked to PPG when i thought that i blew mine and they sell new ones for...wait for it....$265!! yea, i know, it sucks. your better off buying a new one anyways. buying a used one might go out sooner than you would like and theres no way to tell how long it will last either.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The resistance is so low ohming doesn't accuately tell. Megaohming does, but you can normally visually tell if it's shorted. When it shorts, the windings get hot. This turns the grey epoxy around them brown. Can you post us up a pic for evaluation?

solved

new stator installed and all is well. Thanks to all who helped.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by seapup0 View Post
    new stator installed and all is well. Thanks to all who helped.
    Sounds great! Make sure you verify charging voltage also...because when the rectifier fails it overcharges your system...burning up your brand-new stator. Most of the time...one kills the other, and both needs to be replaced at once...so beware.

Happy Riding!

Thread Information