Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1

building a RAMP for the ski

i did some land jumping this weekend and had fun... aim straight at the marsh at 60mph and skim right across say 20 feet of land right into the next canal and stay on the hammer and jump another strip of land... but now i wanna do it airborne.. well, the people i ride with want to see me do it anyway since i had them rolling with laughter the way i was beating the piss outta my ski.. only result at the end of the day was getting towed back after i locked up the pump, so what the hell, why not...

what's the best way you figure to build a ramp for a small ski to drive up and get some air to clean some land and jump from one canal to the next?... i'd like to be at minimum 6 feet in the air and clear a distance of about 20 feet?

ski will be a 1050cc Polaris SLX... it's about 555lbs dry.. so say 700 with a couple gallons of gas and me on it...

very slight V-bottom... so going to need some kind of rails or contour so it doesn't lean to one side at the jump...

i guess it's gotta float and be able to take the weight and not drown and push under when i hit it... and we'll drop some anchors and keep it stationary...

actually... maybe now that i'm thinking... the end of the ramp, the highest point, we can have posts that are resting on the land right at the beginning of whwta i want to jump... and the beginning of the ramp we'll put some floating dock floatation under?

lexan ramp? PVC ramp? just wood and coat it with wax or something like when u were little and coated the curb with a block of wax to slide across?

YOU are out of control! you are controversial! You are like Geraldo!

Having said all that, if you figure it all out, MAKE SURE its on video. I want ..scratch that... I will PAY to see that video...

easy...
    a wooden ramp covered with astro turf carpet, with water running over it to keep carpet wet, wet astro turf is slippery as shit, so you need a pump to pump sea water, could use 12 volt battery with very large high capacity bilge pump, make the surface of the ramp incline a "V" to almost match your V hull so it centers itself when hitting the ramp at speed, and AWAY you go!... GO for it shibbs, I will make a special trip to see this show!...

Hey RXP STEVE, I`ll bring the booze and hot dogs ...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    i did some land jumping this weekend and had fun... aim straight at the marsh at 60mph and skim right across say 20 feet of land right into the next canal and stay on the hammer and jump another strip of land... but now i wanna do it airborne.. well, the people i ride with want to see me do it anyway since i had them rolling with laughter the way i was beating the piss outta my ski.. only result at the end of the day was getting towed back after i locked up the pump, so what the hell, why not...

what's the best way you figure to build a ramp for a small ski to drive up and get some air to clean some land and jump from one canal to the next?... i'd like to be at minimum 6 feet in the air and clear a distance of about 20 feet?

ski will be a 1050cc Polaris SLX... it's about 555lbs dry.. so say 700 with a couple gallons of gas and me on it...

very slight V-bottom... so going to need some kind of rails or contour so it doesn't lean to one side at the jump...

i guess it's gotta float and be able to take the weight and not drown and push under when i hit it... and we'll drop some anchors and keep it stationary...

actually... maybe now that i'm thinking... the end of the ramp, the highest point, we can have posts that are resting on the land right at the beginning of whwta i want to jump... and the beginning of the ramp we'll put some floating dock floatation under?

lexan ramp? PVC ramp? just wood and coat it with wax or something like when u were little and coated the curb with a block of wax to slide across?
    Is that you in the seadoo film?
    http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Sea.Doo.Films.html

Wow i say build a ramp that has a slight V shape to it with some of those bunk mates on it - Damn this should be cool call me up when you plan on doing this i wanna film this !

Use the astro turf and liquid rollers spray, u'll be flyin

+1
    i was thinking liquid rollers as well! that stuff is slippery as shit!

the stunts will be happening on the South shore of Long Island... in the flats near like Tobay boat basin and gilgo areas and stuff... WEST of the amityville cut.

we'll take some video for sure... should be a good time hopefully. Need to think of a few other things to do for entertainment besides just jumping a ramp. I mean, MAC did it on the discovery channel back lasy year, so i'm not doing anything never seen before or jumping over a few housebats like him...

give me probbaly 2-3 weeks and hopefully we'll have some video footage.

Shib... this is one sick idea, but we gotta bring physics into it....

You gotta have enough velocity and the correct angle with minimal to no accelartion so the 9.8 m/s2 of gravity won't send you crashing to Earth before the end of the island....

I could do the calculations but I would say you are gonna need a 40 degree angle on that bitch with no deceleration(or (-) accelartion in terms of physics) from the friction with the ramp and at least 30 m/s of velocity, roughly speaking 66 mph.... can your polaris hit this??? 20 feet may not seem so big but once you factor in the accountability of gravity and wind resistance it really is a lot....

Just don't wanna see you die Shib!!!

And Andy... I'll bring the lawn chairs and video camera, becuase if you pull this off Shib it will be pretty impressive!!!

+1
    i'm looking at an honest 55mph... getting 60+ takes a stretch and glass... 55 i can get to easily

i was never one for physics... crunch some numbers for me! ... we need to build the slippery-est material/ramp possible that won't drag me once i hit it.. i'm sure i'll lose some speed tho... lets say after i leave the end of the ramp i'm only going 45 mph worst case scenario... how much of an angle do i need at 45-50mph to clear 15-20 feet?

and how long the ramp need to be you think? gradual incline or a pretty abrupt incline that i just hit and go skyward?

i'm not dealing with pavement or any rock or any trees or anything that can kill me... worst case is i bail out and tuck and roll and hit the marsh in the flats which is like 1-2 foot deep thick grassy weeds with a mildly hard mucky root bottom when it's high tide.

i need to go scope out the location and see which strip of land i want to try and jump over and measure it to see how long the distance is.

naturally i'll do a couple practice jumps with no land involved so i can bail out and jump in the water

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information