Remanufactured motor ran at WOT without Break in.

I got my new xp last fall, with only 4 hours on it. They guy kept track with his GPS.The the guy I bought it from didn't really break it in. I haven't used it yet. I know the break in is very important on these new 4 strokes, but is it really bad on the 2 stroke (800 motor)?

I have a strange feeling about it not being broken in, because the guy had used it at WOT right off the bat when he put in his remanufactored motor from SBT.

That is what I have in there now, is a silver reman. 800 from SBT. I don't feel comfortable with the sbt short block because many people have complained about the quality.

Is it too late now, or should I still try to vary the throttle positions and attempt to break it in. Well I suppose if it has already been run at WOT for a trip or two, then it is kind of pointless.

Let me know if you think I am in trouble.

Oh and I don't know if this matters or not, but the ski has ran only with premix at 40:1. A blockoff was installed before he ran it. Thanks, Charlie

Here is what it looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor8_166.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	2640  

+1
    It probably didn't hurt it... saw one guy rebuild an 800 took it out for 10 minutes.... adjusted it to 1150 on egt and raced it.

So with a two stroke like this one, what would happen if it was never broken in at all and just ridden like he always did? Everything worked fine when I fired it up last fall. It has good compression 170 each cylinder. So I guess I am ok. The question is, should I just ride it like normal, or should I go through the break in anyways? Thanks, Charlie

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Dude I broke my old Polaris 1200 SLX motor in for maybe 1 hour (if I even had that much restraint) and that things still kicking 275 hours later with me having never had to go into the motor...Also about 175 of those hours were as a heavily modified single piper and then another 50+ were as a heavily modified triple piper spinning way above the stock rpms...

I always bought into the break it in like you intend to ride it theory with 2 strokes...

Probably would have been just as weak about the break-in on the RXP had it not been broken in before I got my hands on it...

Alrighty, Thankyou! I guess I will just ride!

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    Yeah I mean look at it this way:

If there's damage it's already done and very little you can do now to reverse it. Might as well enjoy it like nothing is wrong and if the unfortunate happens and it does go wrong...At least you won't be suprised...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc7897
    Yeah I mean look at it this way:

If there's damage it's already done and very little you can do now to reverse it. Might as well enjoy it like nothing is wrong and if the unfortunate happens and it does go wrong...At least you won't be suprised...
    I agree with Sirhc on this Charlie, just put it back together when your done srucing up the hull and feel it out...PR...

+1
    Break in? Hit it,,,hit it hard!

Thread Information