Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Close call with Riva Pro series SC.

Last week i pulled my SC since the slip moment was below 20" lbs even though i hadn't noticed any real drastic decrease in performance. Tonight i finally got the chance to pull it apart and inspect it. Unfortunately what i found was not good but at the same time i was very lucky to have pulled the SC when i did.

What i found was marks on the impeller and front housing indicating a very small touchdown had occured but the impeller and housing seem fine. I had just bought new stock bearings since i didn't like the play i could feel with the SC still in the engine. That god i did and thank god i didn't continue to ride. I also bough shims and new needle bearings. The other thing i found was that both washers had tan marks on the outside edge that was visible while still assembled. I'm guessing this was from slipping so much and overheating. After disassembling the clutch i found that the gear had a good amount of wear as well as the washers which had a groove worn in them from the gear. I also found one of the washers has a very tiny hairline crack in line with one of the tan marks on the outer edge but it doesn't run to the inside or outside nor is it visible from the opposite side.

Now i'm going to have to put everything back together with the used washers, new shaft bearings, new needle bearings, and everything else used. I'm also thinking about using a used drive gear from an 04 RXP instead of mine that is worn much worse since i'm tight on money right now. Sorry for the bad pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1554.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	553.8 KB 
ID:	35142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1556.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	716.8 KB 
ID:	35143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1560.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	35144  

Good Catch! Now that's paying close attention to your ski!

+1
    The funny thing is with the slip moment so low i could spin the impeller with the SC in the ski by hand and i was still running 72-73mph. I thought my speeds were down because of the 90 degree water and 100 degree air. If i would have caught it sooner the washers and drive gear may have been in better shape too.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    The funny thing is with the slip moment so low i could spin the impeller with the SC in the ski by hand and i was still running 72-73mph. I thought my speeds were down because of the 90 degree water and 100 degree air. If i would have caught it sooner the washers and drive gear may have been in better shape too.

It sure could of been a heck of a lot worse. How many people actually catch the sound difference when the ceramic washers give out? Suck my wake caught this at the launch ramp just by listining to the S/C! Because of this he caught about 99% of the ceramic debri before it went into the engine. It just shows to pay attention to the watercraft!

We caught our washers at a low slip moment from a slight performance decrease - took off intake tube and could turn SC by hand but not spin freely

Ofcourse if it wasnt for this site we probably wouldnt have caught it at all! - Cheers guys

+1
    lets just put some ceramic bearings in there and stop worrying....

+1
    Are the ceramic bearings all that they're cracked up to be though and will they stand up to extreme abuse?

+1
    I don't have the dough for the ceramic bearings plus i think i'd be changing them more than most folks. I'm considering a BOV as well but still unsure. I ride in 2-3' chop almost exclusivly and some times worse. We do 50 mile trips in stuff like that at or above 45 mph.

I'm wodering if i should face the washers the way they were originally or flip them around when i put them back in. I hope this doesn't turn into an expensive mistake.

+1
    come on now......those washers have been heat-cycled, and NOT in a good way. I would use the 04 gear u have, but, I would pop for new washers AND spring washers as the heat will have affected them as well. Jerry would be best to advise u on this but it is the only way I would do it.

+1
    I agree with everything you're sayin man but i don't know if i'll have the cash intime to get the parls and be able to make it to Beachbug.I think if i would have. i've got an idea working right now that might take care of a ton of problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information