Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Exclamation Help...solenoid or starter?

Hi guys, was out with friends this aft and got towed home. That's why I always bring a paper bag. LoL

Stopped the ski to chat it up and when I attached the lanyard and push start, had nothing.

Battery is new and working.
    Pulled both switches from the console on the beach and shorted them as I though it was a good place to start. (nothing)

Where to next? Fuse? Solenoid? Starter? Is there a common issue at it's age?
    1994 xp

Thanks in advance for any trouble shooting advice.

I'm not real familiar with that yr model, but maybe I can point you in the right direction with a little more info. When you plug your lanyard, I'm not sure if yours beeps or not, but do the gauges come on, or anything happen that should ordinarily be happning? As always check your cables, ground at the motor and the battery. I'm not sure where the fuses are on the one, but if your beeping, or gauges coming up I think you would have to look elsewhere. Little more info so we can get your going again....BigT

+1
    Hi BigT, it hasn't ever beeped since I have had it. I guess that is another issue I should look into.

All cables are mounted solid.
    Gauges don't come on.
    No sounds either....very scary quiet. LoL
    If I open the electrical box and locate the solenoid, how do I go about triggering it? (I have a bit of solid state/ic background)

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    94's don't have DESS, which is where the double beep comes from. Pull the black box and see if any terminals are corroded going to the solenoid, and that the box is dry. To verify if the solenoid is working properly attach meter leads on both sides of the solenoid terminals (big wires). When depressing the start button voltage should go from battery voltage down to 0 volts. There should be an audible "click" too when the contacts close. If no click, then check the coil wires (small wires) to see if they are getting 12 volts when pushing the button. If not, you probably have a bad ground. Check the engine ground to battery first, it has been known to corrode under the heat shrink tubing at the connector to the engine.

Did you get a clicking when yhou try to start? If so...can you turn the shaft by hand or w a wrench?

+1

Arrow Fresh diagnosis and video

Thanks for the help so far, and before you watch the video to hear the sound, let me give you an update so that there is some better understanding.

As I mentioned prior, that there wasn't a sound when I hit the switches while still on the river. Nothing, dead calm.

I poked my head in under the hood this evening with a quarts lamp and had sound when I tripped the switches, so got out the video cam. The switches are now working again, to say and I believe the solenoid was chattering, and finally it kicked over the engine. (to my surprise) it would continue to kick over every time afterwards.

Not sure if any water may have gotten into the electrical box or not. When I open it tomorrow I'm going to leave a tea bag in there so that I can check it for water blotches or complete saturation in the future.

Please listen now to the vid clip as it offers an accurate interpretation to the event.

Thanx!!

Jug Inspector
    Clean all the contacts like mentioned above, and replace the solenoid. You don't want it to happen again do you?

Ther first sounds sound like the starter bendix (aka Clutch assembly) isn't getting enough power to spin up into the flywheel and get going. The other sounds like she's turning over ok (weak) and not getting any fire or fuel. Battery connections maybe need to be tightened and possibly something got wet and is dry now...thus its working.
    Can you get it cranked now? I have a 95 Spi...always something with these older ones..but damn they are fun to jump and spin.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilnEdee View Post
    Ther first sounds sound like the starter bendix (aka Clutch assembly) isn't getting enough power to spin up into the flywheel and get going. The other sounds like she's turning over ok (weak) and not getting any fire or fuel. Battery connections maybe need to be tightened and possibly something got wet and is dry now...thus its working.
    Can you get it cranked now? I have a 95 Spi...always something with these older ones..but damn they are fun to jump and spin.
    If when I was stuck on the water and there was no sound, not even a click from the solenoid, wouldn't that be the problem? I wish I had my darn hand on it when I was shooting the vid, then I'de have known for sure.
    Went to the auto parts store today and ordered one from a catalog which looked quite similar as the fellow said that he couldn't trace the number on it due to age. Using the OHM meter, realized there was also a direct ground to the battery and ordered same as it was listed for farm and marine use. The others I looked at were a bit larger yet 20.00 compared to the 35.00
    I will pay tomorrow when they get that part in. Unfortunately, they will not take anything electronic back for refund, so once I leave the store, I'm pretty well stuck with it.
    That said, and if it does the job, I will post the information here in the event others have a problem and need to source an up to date version.
    Now if I am mistaken here, which I could be, please let me know.

The second sound is because I didn't prime it or have the fuel turned on.

*Just had an after thought:
    I will take the solenoid that is now out of the ele. box and put it on an adjustable bench top power supply. I'll try dialing up the voltage on it and see if I can get a chattering from it.

Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    If when I was stuck on the water and there was no sound, not even a click from the solenoid, wouldn't that be the problem? I wish I had my darn hand on it when I was shooting the vid, then I'de have known for sure.
    Went to the auto parts store today and ordered one from a catalog which looked quite similar as the fellow said that he couldn't trace the number on it due to age. Using the OHM meter, realized there was also a direct ground to the battery and ordered same as it was listed for farm and marine use. The others I looked at were a bit larger yet 20.00 compared to the 35.00
    I will pay tomorrow when they get that part in. Unfortunately, they will not take anything electronic back for refund, so once I leave the store, I'm pretty well stuck with it.
    That said, and if it does the job, I will post the information here in the event others have a problem and need to source an up to date version.
    Now if I am mistaken here, which I could be, please let me know.

The second sound is because I didn't prime it or have the fuel turned on.

*Just had an after thought:
    I will take the solenoid that is now out of the ele. box and put it on an adjustable bench top power supply. I'll try dialing up the voltage on it and see if I can get a chattering from it.
    Hopefully that will do it. I replaced the solenoid on my Shadow 1100 after a ton o pain and that solved the starting issue. No sound though is strange unless something was wet and it was totally shorting out.
    Keep us posted!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information