Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rubber dip-stick nubs

I took a razor blade and gently trimmed off the rubber nubs on one side of my dip-stick,,, WOW,, my oil level jumped over 3/8ths of an inch higher. Was running it at the lower hole, I guess with fuel blow by I was at the top hole, after trimming the nubs I was over the crook... Definitely makes a difference...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Wonder if any body has talked to a kawi engineer to see of the pushing down of the oil was already taken into account?

+1
    Thats a good question that I would like to know the answer to.

I can't understand why getting the oil level right continues to be such an issue. If all oil is drained, and then refilled in an amount exactly to spec, why is there such variation? Do different engines really burn that much oil at completely different rates? It seems like we have to check every time we go, at both cold and hot temps, and can still get enough variation to affect performance. Is this unique to the Ultra? I dont recall ever having such worries with dirt bikes, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, etc

SeaDoocer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I can't understand why getting the oil level right continues to be such an issue. If all oil is drained, and then refilled in an amount exactly to spec, why is there such variation? Do different engines really burn that much oil at completely different rates? It seems like we have to check every time we go, at both cold and hot temps, and can still get enough variation to affect performance. Is this unique to the Ultra? I dont recall ever having such worries with dirt bikes, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, etc

I've never had this kind of trouble with the oil before either..it's a pain in the butt!

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Wonder if any body has talked to a kawi engineer to see of the pushing down of the oil was already taken into account?
    Exactly....I have not had time but is on the list. Mt dealer will be contacting me tomorrow....I'll ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Would really like an accurate answer to question also, but i'm afraid a dealer won't have a clue...

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    You're probably right....Dealer is working with Kawi tech for me on another issue.

I found that using the method of just stopping at the bottom nub and reading it as full at the low level mark works.

However, when you take the dipstick and very quickly push it all the way in and quickly remove it....I get the exact same reading.

Basically what I am saying is that if you do it quickly, it seems to read true. At least for me. Your mileage may vary.

why not take metal coat hanger and mark it beside the dipstick,stick in hole and check like that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information