Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How To: AFTER WATER INGESTION

Since this happened to me on my first time out on the new ski, I will go ahead and do a write up to the best of my knowledge, and then shibby or jay can step in and help out some more.

1Stop being pissed, if you are angry, everything goes much rougher. Calm down, relax a bit, and take your time to make sure everything goes smooth

2 Drain all the water from the hull through the drain plugs by removing them and tilting the ski back as far as you safely can.

3 Remove the plastic piece that sits above the engine and has the black plastic tube connectec to it, as seen in the picure below.(at least in the RXT), and set aside.

4 Now you are ready to get to work removing the water from the engine. The first thing to do is remove the air intake from the supercharger, and disconnect it at its front location as well. Get all the water out of the intake tube.

5 With the intake disconnected from the supercharger, tilt the ski back so that any water in the supercharger can be drained out. Once the water is drained out, you can reconnect the air intake to the supercharger and to its location at the front of the ski.

6 Here comes the fun part, now that you have removed the water that had not yet made its way into the engine, you need to remove the contaminated oil from the engine. Remove the spark plugs from the engine, and place a towel over the open spark plug holes. Hold the throttle wide open in order to shut off the fuel delivery(so i was told), and crank the engine. Hold for about 10 seconds. Let it sit, do it again. This gets any water that may have been sitting in the combustion chambers out. Replace the spark plugs.

7 Now you get to get the oil out. Use whatever extractor you use to remove the oil. I use this.

8Replace the oil filter with a clean one, and refill the engine with oil.

9Run the engine at idle(while flushing to cool exhaust) for 3-4 minutes in order to burn off any excess water.

This should be repeated as many times as neccesary to eliminate any "milkshake" oil left in the ski. I went through this process 6 times.

10 Once the oil is clean, and there is no more milkshake effect, remove the spark plugs again, and spray some fogging oil into the cylinders.

11Let fogging oil do its thing for a few minutes, then replace plugs, reflush the ski, and put it back together.

This should do it for removing the oil-water and saving the engine from corrosion.

Nicely done, Pettee. Sad to say but, if there was anyone who's an expert on this it would be you. Thanks for the write-up.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    and after you've gotten the oil changed and clean.... the absolute best thing you can do is get on the ski and ride the living crap out of it to burn up any water vapor left in the system.... preferably the same day or next day is when you want to get it in the water and running

nice job Pettee, good step by step HOW TO

OOOOOOOOOOOO IVE BEEN THERE .... Last yr hit a tug boat wave so hard and so high the tuggie stopped and turned around to talk to me God i wish i had pics of it .......It was sunkkkkkkkkkk

+1
    Iv'e been there also, UNFORTUNATELY!

+1
    I had my engine filled with water and went thru the exact same steps as you. It was six filters and many qts of oil ( also many dollars--lol--). That was several months ago and about 25 plus hours on the hour meter ago. Runs a good as ever--one would never know it had water injestion. No--I am not about to tell the story of how the water got in the motor.

how do you guys know your engine took water? Are you talking about a floaded engine or just about wen your ski flips over en takes some water? And what do you have to do wen your ski has flipped over?

thnx a lot!

I looked at the oil. If it looks more chocolate milkshake than oil youve gotten water in it.

+1
    Hey Pettee, Can U Sink It Again And Make Sure Your Info Is Correct? Haha

I got water in my motor on Saturday, changed oil 5 times Saturday night but only had one filter available. The dealership was closed today so I couldn't get filters today. I'm going to get them in the morning and change the oil and filters a few times and see what happens. Thanks for the great tech article to deal with this!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information