Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Started My Air Intake Today!

I started my air intake today...

What I did was take my stock front vent tube and pull apart the 2 sections, I then took a 4" to 3" PVC reducer and pried and preid it in there it turned out AMAZING! I think It is going to work VERY well. I am then going to clamp the 4" ID hose on the 3" end of the PVC reducer.

I modded the reducer a bit by taking a dremel and sanding out some of the middle part to make it a little bigger. I am going to take a outerwears pre filter, spray it with some water proofer and stick it on the front of the stock vent hose and push it back into its stock position!...I will get pics up soon so Ya'll can see what I am talking about.

Here are some pics of the start of it...The inner diameter of the reduced part is about 3-7/8" and the oval part that clips into the stock vent area if it were a circle it would be 4.146" in diameter. Tell me what ya think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00285_427.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	2642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00284_626.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	2643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc00283_998.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	2644  

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'm actually impressed and intrigued by this my man.... it's definitely a good start!! very interested to see how you incorporate a pre-filter or screen for water protection... then i may very well be making the same identical thing

nice work

thanks man! Yeah it took a bit of prying and heating up the black plastic intake thing to fit the PVC reducer in there but once I did it fits EXTREMELY TIGHT. I hope it works out good!

Just use an outerwearsracing.com pre-filter.
    Call them and ask for one with the dimensions. I think it's like 5x3 and 4 inch depth , breathes from front, and cynlinder shape

http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1867
    see front intake picture.

+1
    my plan is to drill out those 4 rivets for the front vent and stretch a pre-filter around it, then put new rivets and get it back on there...

HOWEVER... what i DO NOT like about compeltely utilizing the front vent for SC air intake is that you have diminished the primary source of hull ventilation, and these hulls barely breathe as it is. the vent between the seats does not do much, so i'm not comfortable with the currenting hull ventilation design if i were to use the front intake for a SC inlet.

Steve that is exactly why I went to the rear intake.
    I drilled a 4" hole into the hull at the front to put more air into the hull when I did the front seat intake. I also got too much water in that area and injested twice. I rather have the front area for hull air and the rear for the intake. I think more and more people will start looking to the rear. It looks like the racers use this setup. The rear is less prone to water and you can use a pre-filter. If I still fill the need I'm going to put pre filters on the outside of the seat so I will have 2 pre-filters of water protection.

Plus I've ran the ski on the hose a couple of times and had dogs from 3 houses over coming to see what that whine and howling was.

I'll post a video hopefully next week.

+1
    unless you have a seriously modified rear seat... the rear intake is a bad idea... urs worked out bc u modded the seat, but i'm not about to butcher up my seat/ski... i'm all about stock appearance and stock hull. aside from the exhaust, i won't cut or drill or modify anything... i'll probably only have this ski another year or two at the most anyways, so it's gotta be presentable for resale.

The part I cut into is a plastic piece that you can purchase for I believe around a hundred. If I was to buy the Riva power filter I would be paying 300. The rear seat intake cost about 40-50. I figure if I ever have to purchase the back end again I would just break even from purchasing a riva intake.
    http://www.xtremepowersportsnetwork....che_select.asp

You can also cut a hole into the seat which is replaceable.

I see your point with looking stock though. I plan on keeping my ski until it dies. Too much depreciation in these things. If anything I'll buy another.
    This ski is capable of 80's in the next 3 years and that is plenty for me. After 70 I'm going to be looking for more acceleration than top speed and I have a feeling when ski's are going to be going 70-80's people will start looking to acceleration instead of top end. Like they say that is where the fun is at.

I think there will be enough ventallation still....maybe I am wrong...If it become a problem I may get an attwood blower and hook it up to the rear vent to pull the air out...which in turn will bring air in...

The only thing I DO NOT understand is how that front vent brought any air in to vent....do you see where it goes? it dead ends right into a peice of foam.....it doesnt even go into the engine compartment it ends right by the gas tank into a peice of styrofoam...so I dont think it is going to really hurt anything by making that a intake...

and also I do not see why our hulls have to have adaquate ventallation their is no radiators or anything in the hull, everything is cooled by outside water. and if it is because of gas fumes or something just take the seat off on your ride to the lake and that will take any fumes out before you start it.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information