new to the sport

I just bought a 2005 RXT 215 which had a motor failure at 36 hours and BRP put in a new short block. The guy then sold the ski and the new owner put the BEST warranty on it til 2009 and it now has 65 hours on it without any problems whatsoever. Been reading about the washer problem and assume that is what happened to this one early on. Is there a life expantcy to these washers and is there a how to thread on the replacement of them.
    What RPM should this thing run at and what are the tell tale signs that problems exist?

+1
    if the washer are bad then you will probly only see a little past 6300 rpm....you should be running at least 8100 or close, maybe flashes of 8150

i would just change the washsers now and then not have to worry about life expectency

Thanks, picking up the ski tonight. Any obvious things to check before handing over the money

Welcome to the forum. top left of this page you will see the links for
    SC rebuild service and SC Clutch failure. Should be all the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragar View Post
    Thanks, picking up the ski tonight. Any obvious things to check before handing over the money
    Chech the oil make sure it isn't overfilled or overly dirty.
    Check the wear ring and prop by looking through the nozzle and also through the intake grate underneath.
    Check the bottom of the hull well for cracks, chips, etc.. Light scratches are OK.
    I would try to water test it and make sure it hits 7900-8100 RPM's
    If not, Start it, listen for the S/C whining when you give it a little gas, and get Metal washers installed in it ASAP

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kragar View Post

test drive to assure RPM's and performance are ok.....RPM's should be in teh 7900-8100 range stock and in this heat. run it long enough for problems to manifest themselves. I'd say a 15-30 test ride is great.

Got the ski home and put 5-6 hours on it on the weekend. Seems to run real good. 8100rpm and 70mph on speedo whether by myself or 3 people on it. I can hear the supercharger whining and assume that is fine. Oil is clean but may be over filled a little. I assume that the fill line is the top of the bent section on the dip stick. Its above this about 3/8 of an inch. Not quite as good on gas as I thought but thats fine. I can't believe the difference in handling from a full tank of gas to half tank. Front end seems to fdrag in the water when full tank.
    Do these have a speed limiter? Seems strange that it gets to 70mph real quick but will not go 71 no matter what type of chop or calm water???

+1
    The oil is overfilled. It should be between the bends when warm. But your RPM's are good, so it is not a problem.

Don't even bother using the speedometer to assess performance. Most only go up to 70, and that is not even close to being accurate. Get yourself a GPS.

Replace those ceramic washers NOW!

When you check the oil, make sure ski is level (either on the trailer on in the water), run the engine to get it warm, let it idle for 30 seconds, turn it off and wait for 30 seconds, then check the oil. As Franko said, it should be between the bends of the dipstick... Ron

Thread Information