+1

1996 sl 900 idle/sync question

Hi everyone I'm from Ottawa Canada and just bought a sl900 for 1500 bucks from a guy off of ebay! It came with a trailer and it works well so I think I may have gotten lucky. The only problem I seem to be having is getting it to idle. When I start the ski after a few hours of no use, it starts and pushes off for 1-2 seconds and quits. It will do this 3-4 times until my finesse on the throttle gets it going. Once it is running fine its a screamer until I need it to idle again.. I lasts 5-6 seconds on the sad downward idle until it quits lol. It turns right back on after that and goes fine, but I usually need to be on the throttle all the time. The seller suggested that the carbs needed to be cleaned but Id liek to do that during the winter (they are plenty long up here in Canada). Is this simply a matter of adjusting the idle stop screw on the mag carb (which I should do while in water from what I understand)? On another note, I can't find ANY info on syncronizing the carbs, I also cant find the vacuum ports, even in the clymer manual!

Happy to be a new member!

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

What are your rpm's when it will idle?

Also, If you think that the carbs need rebuilt I wouldn't wait. A dirty/ill-adjusted carb can burn up a piston.

+1

blew front piston on 96' sl900!

SO I learned an important lesson yesterday as I took my 900 out...If you have a carb problem that you are aware of, don't "ride it off" it will only break more things. I decided this would therefore be the oportunity to rebuild the engine. The compression on cylinders 3 2 and 1 were 130 , 90 , 45 (haha) So we all know which one blew. Should I take all three cylinders to get honed even if the 3rd is fine at the moment? The 2nd cylinder piston has some roughness around the edges and the head is covered in a brown residue, should I replace it and if so, where is a good spot to get a 900cc piston. Any additional info on what to do for a piston replacement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Callan

Opps!

Don't feel bad, you're not the first person to do that. Put a "Wanted to Buy" ad in the classifieds and maybe you will be able to find some used cylinders and/or pistons.

There is someone on ebay that sell rebuild kits at a good price but I'm not sure who it is. I am sure someone on here will chime in with a link.

Also plan on rebuilding your carbs.

Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Good luck,

Rob

Thread Information