Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry RTX VS Speedster (might trade)

Guys,
    I have a 2007 Speedster and I've had a few problems with it. I am not going to go thru the list again, but all you Speedster guys know what I'm talking about. I am thinking about changing my boat for a RTX. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what’s more fun, comfort. I'm thinking that perhaps the ski will be easier to keep in good conditions and less problems. I just wanted to hear you guys' opinions.

how are you going to trade? at a dealership? I am just curious since I would probably do so to but I would fear getting hosed on the deal since I bought it so recently.

Rspeed- You should get what will make you happy, but that move certainly will make your dealer happy; they're going to bend you over on that deal. From one point of view, I don't think you've had anymore problems than could be expected with a new boat, and you've got to remember that there's not a huge difference between a 150 and an RXT, besides a steering wheel, radio, adn a whole lot of fiberglass, so I wouldn't think the problems would be much less. Plus, you just got those washers changed...

Alright, I've got a secret. I actually put a 4 week Boattrader ad in a few months ago and tried to sell mine. Although I've fixed all my problems, and have made some great upgrades, the main reason was my lake's water level is about eight feet low, and it isn't coming back up anytime soon, but about 20% of the reason was because it wasn't EXTREME enough for me. I really thought with my upgrades I'd be over 60mph by now, but I'm just not close without some major upgrades. Although it was the beginning of summer, surprisingly I didn't get any serious offers, so I still have the boat, and just run it a couple hours a month in another lake. I hope BRP ups the ante with more power and better reliability in '08. My point is, I understand your delimma.
    Last edited by VX1; 08-16-2007 at 09:00 PM.

VX1,

You always been a good help, your knowledge and good opinions really really help. If I just get this bilge pump fixed I guess I will be happier.

Thanks VX1

Scott I dont see how your not over 60, I only have my home made intake and power pipe exhaust and im running 57.6 per gps with a full tank of gas and a passenger on less than ideal water (the lake from hell, and at 100 degrees ). Maybe mine is a bit looser since it has had a nice ceramic sandpapering of its internals..... are you sure your not loosing boost?

I love the performance of the boat, I am just tired of fixing things every time I put it in the water, but I guess thats just what it takes...

Although I've spent a lot of time modding the boat, realistically the only mods I have that help increase speed are the SC impeller and intake, so I guess I shouldn't be so down about it. I have the rideplate & grate holes filled too, but feel I got a big zero gain out of that. The 13/18 prop is surely limiting my top speed, which was fine because of the acceleration, but lately I've been experiencing some cavitation/ventalation on takeoff for some reason, so I'm not able to enjoy the acceleration as much. I think I'll put the stock prop back on, before I go out next, to see where I stand. Chances are, I'll keep the boat for just another 16 months and buy an '09 150-X, so I don't want to dump too much more money into it. Next mods I'm thinking of are a set a venturi reducer rings, or maybe I'll try a Wetwolf AAT cone to deal with the effects of the heat. For $99, I might just decide to see how some skegs would feel on the 150.

I would think with those mods though and a different prop you should easily see 60 assuming you arent losing any boost, also if you run it without the fiberglass piece that goes over the engine you will prolly gain 1mph, I know it made mine feel substantially faster, though its loud. I never gpsed with the cover off, I forget to bring my handheld with me that day.

James? What were you drinkin' last night? Substantially faster with the engine cover off? Without a prop change, I would say I'd need another 15-20hp to gain 1mph... Now, I'm sure all I could get with the cover off is about 10hp, so do you think if I put a TURBO sticker on the back, I'd get that extra 5-10hp I need?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but we've got to take that one to Mythbusters !

Edit: I first assumed you were talking about the cover on top of the engine, but it's plastic... you're talking about the cover right under the engine lid... well, thinking about it, I guess you lose about 35lbs with that off, and it could help suck cooler air in the engine compartment for the intake, so theoretically it could help. I've got all my intake air coming from the outside already though. That's the one mod that surprised me the most; I've got two 4" flow-rites feeding fresh air to 5" tubes that both feed the supercharger all the air it wants, and the cooler air didn't seem to help much at all.
    Last edited by VX1; 08-18-2007 at 07:51 AM.

thankfully you figured out what I was talking about, I am not so dumb to think removing the little plastic cover would have any effect at all (though mine is off lol)

the big fiberglass piece is what I meant, and the cooler air to the motor makes a very big difference, try it one time. It is extremely loud but its worth a test for fun. plus with my intake and exhaust it makes the boat sound pretty radical at the dock.

oh and I do mean the white plastic fiberglass insert, not the huge main cover on hydraulic struts, removing that would probably be a pain in the arse, but I would bet that would net some results, and probably be stupidly loud.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information