Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Challenger 180 Stereo Upgrades?

Has anybody upgraded their factory speakers on the Challenger 180? I was looking into upgrading the two existing speakers and possibly adding two more speakers up front.

If anyone has added additional speakers, other than in the factory locations, how hard was it to install? Does this void the warranty since the hull was modified?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Steve

Smile

Did not yet...but surely will...!!!
    OEM audio system is crappy as hell...will remove that shitty headunit and replace it with something way more powerful and handy....BOSS AUDIO makes something really good....get the high end ones it comes with the wired remote so you can control it from your driver seat....way more practical...!!!

For the speakers...i'm thinking 2 6x9 to replace the rear 2 6.5 round....and most probably 2 6.5 to install somewhere in the mid to front section....maybe also a subwoofer somewhere plus an additionnal power amp too....then it will rock...not sure about the front speakers....might just replace the rear ones and hook up some wake tower units on my tower instead....will see.

One thing sure...that crappy clarion is only goos to throw away...!!!
    (It's not so bad....but if you listened better sound quality before could be better)

I added 2 front speakers. Its very simple to cut a hole for them. The wires can be routed back with the aid of some stiff wire or coat hanger. Total install time < 1 hour. Cutting a hole in the liner should not void the hull warranty.

The 2005 180's had a Clarion 255 which was really bad. In 2006 they upgraded (I use this term loosely) to the 455 which supports aux input for an MP3 player and a remote control. Its better, not great. There is lots of room in the drivers console for either adding storage (as I did) or installing a subwoofer. Its harder to cut into (double walled) but still a nice space.

Quote Originally Posted by DougT View Post
    I added 2 front speakers. Its very simple to cut a hole for them. The wires can be routed back with the aid of some stiff wire or coat hanger. Total install time < 1 hour. Cutting a hole in the liner should not void the hull warranty.

The 2005 180's had a Clarion 255 which was really bad. In 2006 they upgraded (I use this term loosely) to the 455 which supports aux input for an MP3 player and a remote control. Its better, not great. There is lots of room in the drivers console for either adding storage (as I did) or installing a subwoofer. Its harder to cut into (double walled) but still a nice space.
    Could you submit some pictures for us please...? I'd really like to see that installation if you will. Thanks in advance...!

Here's what i did inside of mine...does a nice job, full speed sound is way better, bass response is better too...a good improvement even with the stock headunit...but will replace it soon, i want a wired remote unit so i can play with the radio from the driver seat...and will most probably add a amplifier and maybe 2 bazooka tubes i got laying around here...Sounds great....i thought i'd share the pics of the installation with you.

DO not look at the bottom of the boat, pictures were taken right after the installation, and boat was quite dusty and dirty, not it's all cleaned up.

Last edited by Jeepster; 09-24-2007 at 05:30 PM.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    What did you use the cut the holes in the fiberglass? Thanks for any info...

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    What did you use the cut the holes in the fiberglass? Thanks for any info...
    I used what is called in french (scie sauteuse), i guess you use to call that a (hopping saw), it's the common small model, just take care to use a lot of masking tape on the surrounding of the hole which you are about to cut, i personnally took extra care of putting masking tape to both the underside of the saw, and the surroundings of the marked holes.That avoids any possible scratching of the gel coat finish or chipping of it with the saw blade hopping movement.

Everything went fine, i just drilled few holes with a drill for starting point to insert the saw blade. Did remove the front center seat cushions, so i could take a peek behind that area prior to cut just to ensure there was enough clearance and nothing behind to cut by error.

It went fine.

Looks good, nice and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER65 View Post
    Looks good, nice and clean.
    Thanks, that's exactly what i was after, to keep the boat looking clean and neat in the event i decide to sell the boat next year for example.
    (We never know for what or when ,will we decide to change our mind and opt for a different toy...!).

C180 215hp Scic

Never mind upgrade ... I cannot even get my crappy OEM Clarion to crank out tunes? I turn on the toggle switch near the steering wheel and then hit the power button on the radio and NOTHING?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information