Don't Let this Happen to you!!

I think I found the cause to my mishap of the GTX taking on water and then the motor having a hard time of cranking causing the display to go out after the installation of the B kit and reflashed ECU. Went out this morning (and stayed close to the dock on the lake this time... )
    Sure enough, I rev it up to 6,000 RPM's and the motor cuts. It actually starts back up but feels like it is struggling but starts and then begins to cavitate extremely bad again. This time I put it on the trailer and head home. Decided to backtrack my most recent mods which was the B kit and the 15/20. Yanked the S/C and it looks beautiful, to include the inside of the motor where the gear of the S/C goes into. Next, I yank the pump and notice at least a 1mm groove etched around 3 quarters of the wear ring...Bingo, there is the cavitation. Next, I pull off the pump cone and a shit load of water comes out and I am looking at a milk shake. It appears that my bearings are shot and my impeller was slinging itself all over the damn place. Next I am ready to pull out the 12MM allen to remove the prop, well, that wasn't needed, I was able to unscrew the damn thing with my hand, it was obviously spinning freely. As for the water entering the hull and almost sinking my ass, the carbon ring must have been moving all over the place allowing the water in. So, I guess the triple bearing mod and a new carbon ring is next. One thing I am unsure about is how does water get into the pump cone? I always have to pry the cone off when doing prop changes. Looks like I will be down for a couple of weeks but not out....Hopefully my triple bearing won't take to long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p0000989_563.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	400.5 KB 
ID:	2658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p0000988_450.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	405.7 KB 
ID:	2659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p0000987_256.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	442.1 KB 
ID:	2660  

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i been down that road far too many times with a nasty milkshake in the pump cone...

does your SOLAS impeller nose cone have an o-ring in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i been down that road far too many times with a nasty milkshake in the pump cone...

does your SOLAS impeller nose cone have an o-ring in it?

if the impeller was loose I would say the water went in the pump through the two oil seals in the front of the pump

Good to hear the good news and bad new.
    I've had the milkshake when I was testing and trying to make a nose cone that had a 2.5 angle to match my wedge. I didn't have it far enough past the o-ring. Some nasty stuff!!!!

I need to keep these troubles you had in mind when I go testing my ski. I pitched my prop from a 13.5/17 to a 13.5/19 but it looks sketchy and I had a hard time getting back in the pump. It might start cutting in the wear ring and going spastic on me from having the angles off on the blades.

I plan on ridding just for a couple of runs this weekend to get some numbers and then I'm going to pull her out.

Red: I`d have to say water came in from the seals right underneath the prop, not the tail cone O-rings. That`s good that you found something, was that your 16\21 3 blade slinging around?
    at least you can relax about your work/installs...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Red: I`d have to say water came in from the seals right underneath the prop, not the tail cone O-rings. That`s good that you found something, was that your 16\21 3 blade slinging around?
    Andy,

I am not going to mess with a 3 blade until I get my 15/20 dialed in. It seems to be doing the trick for now. Gotta go to the Doo dealership in the morning and borrow their drive shaft removing tools again....

+1
    I dont know if Seadoo has improved the design of the 04 GTX pump but I have replaced more than 10) 2002-2003 4tec GTX pumps in the past year. I think they have a front pump seal problem if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Andy,

I am not going to mess with a 3 blade until I get my 15/20 dialed in. It seems to be doing the trick for now. Gotta go to the Doo dealership in the morning and borrow their drive shaft removing tools again....
    Boy am I bad, I totally confused you with rocketman, he is using the 16\21 ooops ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by JD 1
    I dont know if Seadoo has improved the design of the 04 GTX pump but I have replaced more than 10) 2002-2003 4tec GTX pumps in the past year. I think they have a front pump seal problem if you ask me.
    the 04 pumps are aluminun!
    earlier pumps are composite!...PR...

Thread Information