Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage - low RPM under load - HELP !!

I am experiencing low RPM while under load. RPM is fine while on the trailer and rev's to redline. Once in the water, engine boggs down and will not rise above 1000-2000 RPM. I have changed spark plugs, flushed fuel filter/water seperator and installed new batteries. Ski's both have 70 hrs total (I own two) and both are exibiting that same symptom.

+1
    What is the compression in each cylinder? If it's low, it will run out of the water but not under load. If it's low, then stop running it and remove the heads to see what the problem is. Let us know what you see...pics would help a lot.

+1
    Are they injected ?I know you have cleaned water sep so they shouldn't be but..

Bernie

2002 Virage - low RPM under load

Compression good in all cylinders for both units (both are single carb, Virage model). In addition, voltage seems OK during run. Is between 13-14 volts based on onboard dash LCD readout. I had heard that the magneto goes out quite often for this model/yr. Based on my knowledge, the volt reading while running would eliminate that as a cause.

What are your compression #'s?

+1
    Main Jet s blocked from sitting ?

Bernie

same issue - "limp mode"?

I just bought a 2003 virage and having similar issues; runs fine on trailer; "bogs" down in the water; it doesn't sound like a mechanical issue since the "bog" down seems timed and happening intentionally. I read another thread that says it could be going into "limp" mode if overheating or gas or oil float is broken and reading empty. In addition to your symptoms, my LCD screen flickers off/on and random symbols. Have you had any luck yet? Thanks, Greg

2002 Virage - low RPM under load - HELP !!

Compression "good" was relayed by dealer when I took them in for the problem. They did not have actual numbers which leads me to believe they did not actually check that item. I have bought a compression gauge and will check myself this weekend. However, the low hrs and the fact that this is affecting BOTH units (i have two with same usage and hours) leads me to believe this is fuel related. Ionly use thyem occationally (3-4 weekends per season) but do add fuel stabilizer and winterize as necessary. All else seems to check OK. No gauge/display problems indicated.

I have the same problem on my 2000 slh. I thought it was the carb adjustment. Let me know what you figure out.

I have one that has been sitting for summer the same way

I have one that has been sitting for summer the same way and mechanic has identical one and cannot find solution. Has anyone have any idea what it could be. Compression tests normal runs great out of water but will not go over same rpms under load in water.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information