Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how bad is this

how bad is this

hit a rock at the beach today, want to fix it myself but know nothing about fibreglass repair, should i just take it in? does it look like an expensive job?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0179.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1,017.6 KB 
ID:	35487  

what craft? you need to determine if it's fiberglass or SMC but either way you can do it!

its a 2000 polaris slx 1200

unless some one knows off hand can you tell me if the inside of the hull is nice and smooth? or does it look like fiberglass strands

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    OUCH!

Wankel till I die!! jonjonwells's Avatar
    Fiberglass isn't that hard. It just takes a little practice. Now saying that, I would still recommend taking it to a boat repair facility, be it a dealer or a marina, whatever. If my memory serves me corectly there are 8 layers of fiberglass on jet skis. This could take awhile and be difficult if you have never done it before. Not to mention, if it is your first time, there is always the chance that you could mess up, and then you would just have an anchor at the bottom of your favorite lake. Just my 2c.

it wouldnt cost that much , but prolly 2 get it panited an color matched yes

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1

Paint On Glass???

No need for paint.
    White gel coat after the glass work and BAM its done and SEALED !!
    Do we still color match on the bottom?? Sides hell ya---- but the bottom (sorry,,man am I shade tree )

took the jetski in to get looked at and the guy said its injected molded or something like that and said it might not be able to be fixed. does this make any sense? its smooth on the inside bottom, and on the upper half it looks like fiberglass strands

SMC

By injected molded, I believe this guy is refering to the process by which SMC (which is similar to fiberglass) is layed on these skis. SMC is just a harder compount that gets layed over fiberglass cloth. If you are going to do this yourself, the SMC resin will be probably around $45 alone, then you will also need several sheets of fiberglass.

Your carnage doesnt look to bad. If it were me, I would go for it and give it a shot. Since that is right next to the pump and ride plate, I would consider dropping in some plated steel inside the hull to help with the structural integrity.

Walmart sells small tubes of SMC glue, which is pretty much the same thing. It is the two part glue that you find in the crazy glue area. You might be able to get by with 4 or 5 tubes of that stuff. Make sure if you are going to do this though, that you start from the inside of the hull and work your way out. When you get close to matching the outside layers, add a little extra resin and build up the area. Let that stuff harden in between layers for a good hour or two. Then before you sand the extra down to match the outside hull, let that resin sit for 48 hours to get a stiff structure, then you can take a sander to it to match it down. I think I might have a can of extra Polaris touch up paint laying around that you can use to spray on over it when you are done. I will take a look for it and see if i still have it.

If you have any questions man, send me a PM and I will help ya out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information