Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

COMPLETE Dummy move!!!

OK, I did a dummy this week. I put my 95 SLT 750 in the water, took it out for a bit, ran fantastic. The new fuel filter did wonders. I got back to the camp site and even bragged about how well it ran to my wife. About 10 minutes later, I went to take my son for a ride and let him try driving it. I popped the seat to check how much water was seaping past the seal bearing. Found the craft about 8 inches full of water. Did anyone know that youre supposed to check and make sure the drain plug is in? Well it didnt dawn on me. Well, the idiocy continues. I started it thinking the bilge would drain it out (yes I did replace the drain plug at this point.) I didnt gun it, just gave a little throttle, was just going to tool around the cove at idle. the water inside shifted to the back and it died. brought it back to the bank. Oh yeah, it sucked up some water. pulled the plugs, tipped it over to drain it ran the starter to push the water out of the cylinders. shot some dw40 in the cylinders to help with the rust issue.
    Here is where Im at with it. No spark!

Bought new plugs

I pulled the timing plug from the fly wheel cover and shot some contact cleaner down into it then blew it out with air.

I have weak spark on the cylinder farthest back (#1 ?) and only when I first hit the starter button.

I have strong spark on the middle cylinder but it is not constant. It comes and goes.

I have no spark at all on the front cylinder (#3 ?)

I popped open the electrical box and it was completely dry. The only thing I found is the fuse for the MFD blown which I replaced and it promptly blew again. This was the case before I put it in the water Sunday. It just stopped working last time I had it out, But that isnt my main concern, I will deal with that at a later time.

any ideas would be appreciated. I am absolutely disgusted with myself that I did this. I am new to water craft of any kind but this is totally inexcusable.

Please tell me I havent totally destroyed this one.

Incidently, I have another 95 750 that needs a motor so I have a parts machine. I went to take the coils off and noticed the electric box is considerably larger. As far as I know the only difference between the two crafts is the one I was riding is a SLT and the one that dont run is a SL.
    the SL has trim thats the only difference I can see other than ones a two seater and ones a three.

Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    We've all done dumb stuff, don't think you're the first to have forgot your drain plug. If your engine is properly sealed, you shouldn't have gotten any water into it. My guess is the water shorted the battery maybe? Try a different battery and see what happens. Also be sure your ground wire is tight and has a clean connection. Disconnect your MFD whenever you Connect a battery cable, it may blow the fuse if not the MFD. And for the elec box size, I'd bet the smaller box is from a 92-93 boat, while the larger box is from 94 or later. Ohm test the stator to see if it's good too.

Im guessing it sucked water up into carbs, there was definately water in the cylinders. the spark plugs looked like they were covered in milk. The MFD survived several battery hook ups and still worked, just all of the sudden quit working. If the battery shorted, would it still crank over? The battery is only a month or two old.

Thanks for quick replys, this site is fantastic.

Where would the ground wire be located?

The "milk" on the spark plugs is water and oil mixed.
    The ground wire should be below the exhaust near the rear of the engine it is bolted to the base of the crank case.

+1
    Water inside the engine is a whole diff story than no spark. Get the water out of the engine ASAP!!! Check your crank index before you go any further. If the engine still turns over, the batt is most likely still good. But if it doesn't turn over fast enough, the spark may be weak.

As I said, I tipped it over on its side and drained the water out of the hull, I had the plugs out when I did this and cranked the engine over until it quit spitting out water. I am no longer getting any water spray from the cylinders. It wasnt that much water, it was only misting while cranking, no streams of water.

What is the crank index and how do I check.

Thanks

by the way, would it be a good idea to put some 2 cycle in the cylinders and crank it to lube the cylinders and below

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rfriedman20 View Post
    by the way, would it be a good idea to put some 2 cycle in the cylinders and crank it to lube the cylinders and below

thanks
    Yes. The generic method of crank indexing is as follows. With the sparkplugs out, hold the CEN piston at "true" TDC. Then measure down to the tops of the other 2 pistons. The measurement should be identical or real close. (I'd guess no more than 1mm difference) The proper method includes a dial indicator and a degree wheel.

+1
    I pulled a real dumb one today as well. 2* pump wedges require a shorter cooling tube. Ask me how I found that one out?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information