cracked hull on 2003 1300R AGAIN

I know what some of you will say, But I want facts of the best way to get this fixed from yamaha and the dealer. I have a good relationship with this dealer. I have bought a couple of skis from him and some other things. He is the same dealer that I just bought my RXP from..

Here is the issue that I am dealing with. This is on a 2003 1300GPR. I had a hull leak that was fixed back in November of 2004. The hull leak was right after the intake grate in the tunnel part. This is the known problem of the weak hull. I finally got the ski back and went for a ride in December. After about 15 minutes of riding, the engine went. I put a rod through the cases. I also noticed that water was in the hull again. I figured that this was from the blown engine.

The dealer fixed the engine and did find another leak by the trim cable. I got the ski back in April and took it for a quick ride to start to break the new engine in. I did notice some water in the hull after riding but just figured it was water that could have been in there since I picked to up from the dealer.

I went riding this weekend and had a lot of water coming in the hull. SO I decided to do some investigating to see where the water is coming from. The hull repair work was completely cracked and even looking worse then the first time it cracked. I only put on about 1.5 hours and the hull can’t even withstand that.

The dealer and yamaha have been fair the whole time with me. They have made repairs and honered there warrenty. My question is….I want a new hull and what is the best way to get it. Anybody with previous experience on this would be very helpful.

Peter
    peterspuds@aol.com

+1
    Yamahas use SMC (sheet moulded compound) for their hulls. This material is heavy and structurely weak, unless it is molded very thick. It is very difficult...nearly impossible...to repair once damaged. Nothing bonds to it very well. Kawasaki, Honda and Sea-doo use a fiber-glass material that can be made thinner and weigh less while still maintaining a good strength to weight ratio. Fiber-glass can also be repaired easily. GPR's can be made to run fast, but in my opinion they have a "throw-away" hull !

Richard

re

I see what you mean about the hull. And where this crack is and all the stress, I believe it can't be fixed. I am not a structural engineer, but I could see that there is a lot of flexing and pressure right at that point. I will be trying for a new hull....but you know how that will go. Many months of BS.

Peter

update

The dealer is going to try and fix it again. THis time they are going to pull the pump insert/shoe out. THey should have done it the first time. Then they are going to grind a bigger area out and fill it back in. I also reguested that they put in the RIva GPR hull reinforcement kit. The dealer is trying to make it right so I will give him another chance. But if is still takes on water, I will have to persue other avenues. I just hope it works.

Peter

+1
    If you use any carbon fibre material ,make sure to use epoxy resin, the regular fiberglass resin will not stick........fyi

+1
    oops
    Last edited by dhoad; 11-09-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: d'oh

Thread Information