Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 94 sl750 newbie engine disaster

Hello there guys, im new be gentle. With your help I will soon be , the Wakemaker... Well back to earth. Picked up a 94 sl750, mostly together. All heads were removed, one cylinder was removed. That rod was frozen in place(rusty). Piston was not cracked, but had scratches on sides. Cylinder was not scratched at all, rings moved easy. All heads are clean, it has bpr7 plugs. The other two pistons had light soot(fuel) black in color. I found a paper in it that read: Compression results= #1=85-95
    #2=30-60
    #3=115-125
    It had all parts that I can see for engine atleast, I do not know about the oil and fuel parts.
    I sprayed the exposed piston rod and crank with pb blaster. It came free fairly easily. I injected the motor with the blaster to loosen up the corrosion. I replaced the cylinder and heads, tightened it all back up. Mostly because this is my first ski ever and so I can become familiar with the engine.
    The oil tank is removed and in the storage, fuel lines disconnected. Little fuel vent valve in in parts bag. No autocock valve. I don't see a water separator. All electrical seams in tact, everything is plugged. Except the oil sensor plug. Thats about it. HELP!!! btw, how easy should it be to spin the motor with plugs out? Thanks.

+1
    wake welcome to the hulk.
    It sounds like you have a rusted crank? Not good you will have to due some more investigating as to if the crank in good or not. Pull the carbs and reeds and have a good look at the crank.

What he said^^^^^^^ Sounds like you might have a small project on your hands. Not that diffcult to get her running, and as far as an older ski you could not buy a better one!!!! As with a little TLC these things are bulitproof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. So If in fact I can get it to spin I might be able to get this baby started? I sprayed the insides with blaster to loosen up any corrosion and poured a little 2-cycle oil in the spark plug holes. I have let it sit for a day or two now. What size wrench can I spin this motor with? I spin it at the driveshaft coupler? Thanks.

btw. the throttle plates were closed until I sprayed them with cleaner. They snapped open and are free and not resisted in travel. Carbs look very clean inside. I was told "It sat for two years". Thanks.

+1
    If the crank is rusted you are toast. A rusted crank spinning at 7000 rpm will not last long.

Where do I get pics or diags to complete all the hoses for fuel system and oil elimination. As it has pre mix in the tank. Where does the fuel selector(autocock) go? The dial above the starter button is missing but there is a valve in the hole. Thanks.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Most information you seek is in the tech section under Fuji fuel, Fuji elec, etc...you have a Fuji engine in that ski.

Thank you guys so much. I appreciate the help, top notch. I will soon report my rebuild. Can I strip old graphics and recover my sl750 with vinyl. Like a complete wrap, has any one done this or heard of? Thanks again. Love this site!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Don't know of anyone doing it, but I'm sure it's possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information