Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is it typical for an engine too...

...become more sensitive to weather conditions the more heavily modded it is. For our platform anyways?

I ask because this year I've noticed that my ski is much more sensitive now than it was bone stock. Bone stock it didn't matter the air temperature, water temperature, humidity, etc. my RPM at WOT would pin at 8100 and not even think of moving unless I came unhooked. Now the ski is a custom stage 2 as stated in my signature. It has become really sensitive to seemingly minor changes in the weather.

During the middle of summer I would pin at 7900 RPM other than the rare flash of 7950 RPM. Two weeks ago the humidity was up about 20% from usual and I was down to 7750 RPM. Now today the humidity was back to normal but air temp was down 15*F and water was down 5*F and I was seeing 8000~8050 RPM. What the jack honky? If this keeps up I will be all over the limiter without tweaking a thing come the end of September. Or if I went to Jerry's it seems like I'd probably be just above 7000 RPM. Why wasn't my ski this tempermantal when it was bone stock?

Has anyone else noticed this or is my ski weird? I'm not too worried about it as my ski ran it's best ever today, but I am really curious.
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 08-19-2007 at 09:33 PM.

yes

i have noticed the same thing with mine..........

weather can take 100 rpm like it was nothing.

its still a rotax but i have a 2007 gtx and i have ridden it in the dry heat, 50 degree weather and thick, disgusting humidity and i hav noticed no differance in my speed/rpms or feel of the acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGS View Post
    i have noticed the same thing with mine..........

weather can take 100 rpm like it was nothing.
    Never did that when I was bone stock though. Why now?

same here, my ski has been modded to 2.5 and back to stock and it reacts differently now to air/humidity and water temps, go figure?!...PR...

dont know

i dont know the scientific reaon for it. i am sure someone will enlighten us though.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGS View Post
    i dont know the scientific reaon for it. i am sure someone will enlighten us though.
    Where's Nitro Shark when you need him?

I'm sure Jerry or someone knows, but Nitro probably has the most scientific reason.

When air is thicker with water(humidity) or just plain old heat(physical molecules "moving" in their space faster) your engine will need to compensate to deal with the differences... kinda look at it like you as a human being acting differently when you are sick....

The infection you are fighting is gonna have your body concentrating on multiple aspects which it normally wouldn't have to(creating antibodies and more white blood cells) as well as function to it's normal level which will cause something in the end to lack, aka your overall energy level...

Not saying your ski is sick but kinda coorelates to the general picture

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
    When air is thicker with water(humidity) or just plain old heat(physical molecules "moving" in their space faster) your engine will need to compensate to deal with the differences... kinda look at it like you as a human being acting differently when you are sick....

The infection you are fighting is gonna have your body concentrating on multiple aspects which it normally wouldn't have to(creating antibodies and more white blood cells) as well as function to it's normal level which will cause something in the end to lack, aka your overall energy level...

Not saying your ski is sick but kinda coorelates to the general picture
    I know, but that's not my question. My question is why would humidity, water and air temperature NOT affect my ski when it was BONE STOCK, but WILL affect it greatly now that it is a STAGE 2?

+1
    I think:

Stock: Intercooler is very restrictive. There's such a little amount of flow that the temp difference doesn't change much.

Modded: Intercooler moves so much more air that it is sensative to the temperatures 10x more than stock.

Stock: Air intake is pulling in just about nothing. It doesn't matter if the air is cold or hot because there's not enough volume/velocity.

Modded: An air intake such as the rear air intake is pulling in much more air at a much faster pace. Pulling in massive amounts of cold air in the cool temps will result in good numbers. Pulling in all hot air in hot temps more closely simulates the stock intake therefore your gains will be close to erased and you will go down in performance dramatically.

Summary: It's a volume thing. The more air you move, the more the temperature of the air will affect performance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information